Tuesday, July 28, 2015

Rain

  • Day:  66
  • Start:  930
  • End:  953
  • Miles:  23
  • Hours:  12
  • High temp:  66
  • Low temp:  37
  • People :   ~30



I heard his song about 0400 in the morning, the coyote was maybe 50' from me. His song was complex, wavering and changing in cadence very enjoyable. I dozed back to sleep after he was finished. While I did not awaken to the sound of rain last night, it did rain. This mornings sky is almost completely overcast, rain in the forecast. 
The trail and the foliage is wet, rain gear today for sure. I've been following a dude horse tour for a couple of days. Horses aren't the best on soft trails, they make a quagmire of muddy spots, dislodge rocks, create new paths and of course leave the inevitable droppings. I actually passed them this morning, they were still in their camp preparing for the day. I noticed the improved trail immediately, ahhh.   Well I stopped at Hunchback Pass to rest and dry my gear in the brief window of sunshine.  Here come the horses, dang. The good thing is they will be getting off trail at Silverton, not too far away. 


At least they were friendly 




Heading on I see some strange figures on a ridge ahead. Up pops the llamas head and I know now what to expect.  Three fellows from Tennessee are backpacking the Colorado Trail with rented llamas. 


So I buy a llama

Just kidding.  Interestingly the CDT has now merged with the Colorado Trail. The CT is extremely popular as now I seen so many hikers I've lost count of them. This section of the CDT/CT is better cared for, so hiking is more pleasurable. 


Reminds me of a Microsoft screen saver




And the rain returns 


Beautiful contrast the blue gray rock and the green grass

While the trail is always up and down this afternoons trail was more like the South San Juans, high mountain meadow hiking above the forests. 






Almost done for the day, the clouds are breaking up and the horizon is looking favorable for a clear sky later, perhaps tomorrow.  I select a camp site on a ridge just at 13,000', I expect it to be colder, but less wet, unless it rains. 


A promise for a fair day hiking tomorrow'


No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi, happy to hear from you, please post your comments here.