Tuesday, July 28, 2015

Yert?

  • Day:  67
  • Start:  953
  • End:  982
  • Miles:  29
  • Hours:  13
  • High temp:  68
  • Low temp:  37
  • People met:  too many to count


Leaving my ridge top camp

A light breeze buffeted my tent all night keeping the overall wetness at bay, with the exception of the rain fly.  
On Sunday a Colorado Trail bike race started which means now there are bikes on the trail increasing the people I'm seeing. I'll be seeing the all the CT folks for the next 110 miles or so. 
The trail this morning is mostly downhill allowing me to make good time. The entire day should be above the timberline, allowing for great unencumbered views. 


There are ups and downs, but for the most part the trail Iike hiking through a meadow


Little patches of snow here and there, none of which are a problem. 



I find a likely group of rocks with what looks like some sustained sun, I'll dry my gear here. 
Looking up I notice a moose about 1000' ahead and down slope from me. This behemoth has a full rack and is nonchalantly enjoying a meal. Just back on the trail a little weasel jumps on the trail in front of me scurrying madly with his little black tipped tail straight up.  Further down the trail I see the moose has another bull feeding with him, truly an enjoyable sight.





Now it's time to start the big climb of the day to the highest point in the CT.  I have to manage water for about 12 miles, not hard but need to know that's how far. 


Got to finish this valley then climb the mountain beyond


On the top!

Mostly a downhill run now. I'm planning on camping about 8 miles from the highway at a yert. I should have cell phone coverage there, plus my tent won't get wet. 


The striking red mountain is called Red Cloud. The lake is Christobal. Lake City is close to the north end but around the bend out of sight. 

Well the yert is occupied and it's only 1600 hrs. I'll just hike until I get tired or arrive at the highway. 


Yert


A short walk through the forest


Need to cross this open field, most if which is rocks. 

The rocky field is finished and I'm now only 2.2 miles from the trailhead and a possible dinner in town. I get a ride almost immediately arriving in town in time to eat dinner, get a bunk and shower at the Raven's Rest hostel.  A high mile hiking day but very well worth the effort. 

2 comments:

  1. Weasels! Maybe bring one home for Josh?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know, but it was pretty cute. I bet if you saw it you'd want to pet it

    ReplyDelete

Hi, happy to hear from you, please post your comments here.