Monday, July 27, 2015

The Knife Edge

  • Day:  64
  • Start:  886
  • End:  907
  • Miles:  21
  • Hours:  11
  • High temp:  65
  • Low temp:  39
  • People met:  4


Nice Marmot 

The russeling of the grass on my pants and the soft creak of my pack are the only sounds I hear as I start the morning hike. In short order a courious marmot poses for my camera. The sky is almost completely overcast this morning, good to hike in but not sure if it means rain.  The green mountain sides are back, making for a splendid walk. 


A unique outcrop




Beautiful flowers guide my way


Sometimes the trail goes through rock flows

The trail is slow today with many rocks, some sections are really dry creek beds with nothing but rocks. My feet protest at the constant rock walking and yearn for a clean trail. 




An amazing cairn, a lot of work to build


I enjoy the bright sun lite spots


The beginning of the knife edge

The knife edge is a trail on a steep slope, always a concern if snow is still present. No snow today making for an enjoyable walk. 


The knife edge


More knife edge



The trail descends for a long time all in a rocky washed out trail. A rushing stream appears next to the trail so I stop for water, making sure I have plenty for morning. I'm hoping that I will be able to find a suitable level spot to camp. I'm planning on the bottom of the descent. Right at the pass the trail flattens out and I find a level well drained spot. Thought I might hike more but it's up hill from here, so I better stay. Another great day in the Rockies.


Squaw Pass

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi, happy to hear from you, please post your comments here.