Tuesday, July 28, 2015

Beaver Dams

  • Day:  65
  • Start:  907
  • End:  930
  • Miles:  23
  • Hours:  12.5
  • High temp:  72
  • Low temp:  39
  • People met:  13


This morning first climb



The Notch is in the video

The sound of the rain gently tapping on my rain fly lulls me to sleep. Not a hard or long rain but a nice soft rain for just a little while. Nice because it's not enough rain to make the trail muddy.  Nonetheless I start out with rain gear to avoid the foliage water. I hike through the lower forest up into the sunny slopes without trees.  I marvel at the different rocks each mountain has, so close but so different. 







Lots of ups and downs today. The trail is in better shape than yesterday.  I look across the expanse at the far mountains wondering if I will be by them, it turns out I will and today. There is a distinctive one that has a notch, I'll be crossing by it later today, I'm amazed. 
I enjoy a break at a clear babbling brook. I spread my gear out to dry then gather water. I use the Sawyer squeeze water filter, easy to use. 


A nice spot for a break

So I descend along a creek and discover a classic beaver pond with the mound in the pond. 


Classic beaver pond

Just down the trail is a bigger beaver pond, these guys are busy. No beaver sighting though, they might be nocturnal. 


A huge dam 

Just a little further done the trail is a huge pile of trees. I figure these beavers are pretty darn big. 

These beavers are monsters

Not really beavers, but a timber pile left from an avalanche. 


Avalanche damage

The trail crosses a large meadow and then up a climb to the notched mountain I saw earlier today so far away. 



The clouds are building for thunder showers. I rest and watch the animated clouds move across the sky like so many crazy looking cartoon circus animals.  It appears the thunderheads are forming close but to the northeast, so I think I'm safe again today. 



Thunderhead building behind me 




The trail is decomposed rock

I make my last descent for the day into a verdant valley filled with lakes. The trail on this side Is a decomposed volcanic rock that make a pleasant crunchy sound when walked upon. 





I've got to locate a dry place to camp in this moisture filled valley.  I find a nice spot amoung some flat rocks with dry moss, making a very cushy camp site. 


Looking back to where I've been

As I write this journal I'm watching the sky changing, here is the best part of the sunset tonight. 


Now that's fire in the sky, a Colorado Rocky Mountain High

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi, happy to hear from you, please post your comments here.