Wednesday, July 22, 2015

Cumbres Pass finally

  • Day:  58
  • Start:  795
  • End:  815
  • Miles:  20
  • Hours:  11.5
  • High temp:  65
  • Low temp:  44
  • People met:  2


The train station for the Cumbres railroad 


A real steam train, gets water here

My ride from Denver, my wonderful sister-in-law, Pattie. 

I'm on the trail in Colorado picking up where I left off at Cumbres Pass. The snow should be gone now and the mountains should be dressed in their summer splendor. 
Apologies for not updating, I returned home for some medical tests my Doctor was pressing me to get done. Glad I went home as I got to see my son, daughter-in-law and my little grand daughter for a wonderful visit. Plus my niece, Julianne was in town for a evening, so good to see her. I repackaged my boxes and created a new mailing schedule. I was also able to catchup on some chores around the house. The best was being home with Carolyn for those two weeks. All of the medical tests were fine, I'm waiting to hear about the last one I took on Friday, just thinking it's good news that's why I'm back on the trail. 
Pattie, picked me up from the Denver airport and drove me 6 hrs to Chama. What a blessing she is, made getting back on the trail so quick. 
So just a short walk on the tracks then on a real trail all day. 

South on the Cumbres tracks 

I put on my rain pants as it rained last night, leaving the grass soaking wet. The trailhead sports a register, I log my information. I note there aren't any another thrus starting in the last week. The morning is cool, perfect hiking weather. In short order I come across some baby blue columbines, I'm impressed by the color and size, just stunning. 

These flowers are the official Colorado State flower 


I stop to survey my surroundings and notice a buck with a nice rack still in velvet, he watches me carefully not feeling the urge to bolt. Further up the trail a marmot greets me sunning himself in his rock pile. 


I am so pleased with the beautiful scenery and the real trail. This is what I've been waiting for since I started the trek. 



Surprised to see thus little guy so high up

The sky is filling with clouds, thunderstorms are forecasted this afternoon. I'll have to pay close attention to the sky and time my passes to avoid a storm when I'm on top. The clouds are blowing up the ridge engulfing me as I walk. The quietness of the cloud surrounds me, bringing a smile. 



Large stands of the forest have been damaged by the bark beetle. 

I walk a ridge, great vistas, across a valley I notice the white water of the dramatic waterfall. 



Ridge walk



There is clear running water everywhere, surprisingly even in the high ridges there are little lakes. The abundance of water  means I can carry less for a lighter pack.  I spot a couple of elk they are watching me closely, then they bolt behind a hillock. 

Dipping Lake


The afternoon has arrived, I can see rain in the distance of the eastern plains and hear the peels of thunder. The ridge tops in my path have dark clouds just above them. The occasional sun light pops through letting me gage the clouds. I make the decision to make camp prior to crossing the next pass, it's getting late and the clouds are threatening. 

Still some snow at 12,000'

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi, happy to hear from you, please post your comments here.