Wednesday, July 22, 2015

In The Clouds

  • Day:  60
  • Start:  836
  • End:   860
  • Miles:  24
  • Hours:  12
  • High temp:  66
  • Low temp:  38
  • People met:  18


 

I wondered if the sun would ever shine

Sometimes the clouds are so thick I have trouble locating the next carin. The mist was flowing down the canyon as I started my morning.  The cloud ceiling was often on the ground. 

This snow is not a problem



I keep my rain gear on until about 1100 hrs when the grasses dried and the sun started to shine. Today's weather is much different, the clouds are not as threatening and the thunderheads are in the east over the prairie. I'm able to dry my rain fly and ground cloth quickly in the sunshine.  



So happy the clouds are breaking up



I come upon another mother grouse with a couple of chicks. These chicks are two big to hide under mom so they just run off. I find it amazing that this whole running and calling for mom takes place not too far from me.  While I took a break I noticed a bald eagle soaring on the thermals. He saw someting of interest as he went into a dive and was lost from my view beyond the mountain. I wonder how fast he was going in his dive, seemed scary to me. 

There's the mother grouse

The scenery up here is breathtaking. 





My lunch spot

I make a ridge by Silver Mountain and I can see Pagosa Springs as well as the Wolf Creek Ski Resort. I check for a signal, it's very strong.  I have a positive message from my Doctor, biopsy is negative, now I can hike with an easy mind. 

Pagosa Springs I believe 


The trail goes along the side of that mountain 


On a ridge above the ski area

I make camp on a ridge above the ski area. No trees for shelter here but I hope the breeze will keep things dry. 4 miles left to resupply in Pagosa Springs. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi, happy to hear from you, please post your comments here.