Wednesday, July 22, 2015

Pagosa Springs

  • Day:  61
  • Start:  860
  • End:   864
  • Miles:  4
  • Hours:  2
  • High temp:  81
  • Low temp:  39
  • People met:  too many to count


Morning walk through an old forest

Up early to resupply in Pagosa Springs, I'm excited to see a new town. No water on my rain fly, just a little on the ground cloth. The night breeze kept things cool, kinda cold really, and dry. This last stretch is along the top of the ski area around the far side of two mountain peaks, then all downhill to the highway. 


In the far right is the top if a chair lift


Looking south


Moon Hollow, who new?


I think the fence keeps skiers out and perhaps reduces the possibility of creating a dangerous cornice in winter. 


The highway below

After a short hike on the ridge, followed by an even quicker one down the grade I made it to the highway. A quick removal of my rain gear, used as protection from the wet foliage and for warmth, I'm ready to get to town. But first a picture of the iconic Continental Divide sign at Wolf Creek Pass.  



In town I stop at the Pinewood Inn to see if they will hold my gear until they have a room ready, surprise rooms ready now.  I'm off to retrieve my replacement tent and my resupply box. I admire this little town it seems very prosperous for such a small "one light" town. The river runs right through the middle of town and is accessed by parks. Many people are recreating in the river, plus there is a small hot spring pool right next to the river, for free. Several hot spring spas exist allowing for therapeutic vacations. Now breakfast, something different from hiker food.  The visitor center recommends the Rose. I agree with the recommendation. 


Happy now!  Back to my room to finish chores, laundry, sanitize water system, ready my food, dry my gear. 



Then the bus to Walmart to pick up my drinking containers and foot care products. When shoes are wet for prolonged periods I think it's important to keep athletes foot at bay, at least stinky boots. 
The Pinewood Inn is a great place for hikers, the nice owner understands us, when I asked where I could hang my ground cloth, perhaps on a fence out of the way, she replied anywhere is fine, you should she this place when it's full of hikers.  Chores mostly finished, now to dinner. 
I find a place that has a outlet and wireless for my phone. Time to send up the updates, which took about 1 hour for 3, lots of big pictures. I hope it's helps give you an idea of the splendor I experienced. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi, happy to hear from you, please post your comments here.