Wednesday, July 22, 2015

Elk on the Ridge

  • Day:  59
  • Start:  815
  • End:   836
  • Miles:  21
  • Hours:  11
  • High temp:  68
  • Low temp:  38
  • People met:  3


Elk on the ridge 

The rain never came, but the moist ground soaked the rain fly. I'll have to dry things out when it warms up.
 I wave from my camp as two hikers go by on the trail.  The morning is cool and the sky is crystal clear perfect hiking weather.  I cross the pass to another high meadow where I see a couple of elk grazing.  I pass a small alpine lake, the feeding water come in as a bog.  Bogs and wet grass have my boots soaked within the first 15 minutes. So much water in this grass that it flies off my boot tips as I walk. The late snow seems to have saturated the ground, even if there isn't any rain the moisture raises in the morning. On the bright side everything is a beautiful green, flowers are blooming and there is lots of good water for drinking. I notice the trail is not littered with scat from animals, just the prints of elk and deer along with their scat. Judging from the small amount of scat the mountains are not filled with elk and deer yet, or much if anything else. 
Walking on the trail I amost step on a grouse, she was hiding in plain sight with her camouflage feathers. I guess she thought I would step on her as she flew up surprising me. She had 6 little chicks hiding under her body. They all just stood there in a little ball for a split second then exploded in all directions. The rejoining efforts began immediately and not too far away, perhaps because I didn't  chase them is the reason. 

The trail goes in and out of lush forests


Deep canyons provide spectacular views


Alpine meadows are plentiful


This spring is so cold I almost got a brain freeze

The trail winds through these beautiful alpine meadows then along steep slopes arriving at the foot of the mountain canyon. The valley was cut by glaciers so it starts at the foot of the mountain. I cross a stream and proceed along the opposite slope to another pass.  So it goes all day, each pass offers some new spectacles views, the prize for the climb. 





I cross where the sunshine is, then head back on the opposite side




This is where I head back on the opposite side. 






Some sections require a tighter focus on the trail 

As I drop down to the end of this canyon I'm looking for a camping spot under some of the larger trees that grow at this elevation. The last stand of trees are occupied, I head up the trail knowing the alpine trees will not provide shelter as their skirts are on the ground but find a pretty good level spot with some drainage and wind exposure. I'm hoping the wind will help keep my tent dry. Today was another satisfying, wonderful day. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi, happy to hear from you, please post your comments here.