Sunday, July 5, 2015

Idaho on the trail again

  • Day:  54
  • Start:  17
  • End:  33
  • Miles:  16
  • Hours:  9
  • High temp:  78
  • Low temp:  48
  • People met:  0



The sweat drips down my back and my body tells me it thought this stuff was done. Late this morning Carolyn dropped me at the trailhead by West Yellowstone.  We enjoyed our time together in Missoula and we both didn't want to say goodby.  So here I am on the trail again.  I'm headed north to East Glacier then I'll come back to this starting point in West Yellowstone and hike southbound to South Pass City.  That should finish Wyoming, Idaho, and Montana with the exception of Glacier which I want to be my last section going into Canada to finish. 
The flowers today are splendid for the forest, uplifting my spirits. 








The afternoon was spent following Roaring Creek.  Many springs from the mountain create this creek. There is plenty of water is this valley, I drink with impunity.  The first spring I collect water from is the beginning of Roaring Creek which is the furthest source for the Missouri/Mississippi drainage, so I got my water at the very beginning. 
 I round some trees and spot a moose in the creek. He spots me as well, we both stand frozen for a while just looking at each other. I snap a picture an continue on my way he takes off in another direction. 

Moose deciding to move down the creek 

I arrive at Lake Lillian, a small little lake nestled between a steep hill and mountain. I enjoy watching two ducks cruise through the still evening water. 

Lake Lillian

I've got a nice camp spot in the trees overlooking the lake. So glad to be resting now, all those days off made me a little soft. I'll harden up in no time though. A great day on the trail. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi, happy to hear from you, please post your comments here.