Sunday, July 5, 2015

Idaho and Montana at the same time

  • Day:  55
  • Start:  2116
  • End:  2139
  • Miles:  23
  • Hours:  14
  • High temp: 78
  • Low temp:  43
  • People met:  0


Lillian Lake In the morning

Last night I heard a big animal snort, then I heard the hoofs. I think maybe an elk or moose. I noticed in the morning the bent grass where he went to a clearing under the trees close to my camp.  Perhaps I took his spot for the night, that may have prompted the snorting.  He did not hang around after that. 
The trail this morning is well maintained making for easy walking.  The morning sky is smokey just like the previous days .  I think the wildfire in Wenatchee may be causing the smokey skys. 
The flowers today are even more spectacular than yesterday's. 










Water is available more often in these mountains, I collect 2.5 liters from a nicely flowing spring before I start my ascension. Once about the tree line water is hard to get, so I take plenty to get me through. I follow the trail as it climbs, providing nice views of Idaho to the south and Montana to the north. The trail almost follows the border between the two states which is the Continental Divide. Occasionally I see a steel post with a brass top indicating the border. 

The border posts






Montana 


Idaho 


Nice trail in places, heading to the ridge


Idaho 

As the day warms the new hatch of flies emerges. I am assailed as I walk, but when I rest the onslaught is continuous. I can clap my hands and kill then without even trying, that's how many there are. I finally say enough is enough and put my headnet on. I even hike with the net on to give me some peace.  
In the afternoon I'm running low on water so I gather water from a spring. This spring is very slow and shallow. Gathering the water here is a slow process as it takes a while to fill my prescreening vessel.  I find a wonderful clear, cold stream just 6 miles up the trail. Filling is fast and easy, I drink my fill and top of my 2.5 liters. 
Now mosquitoes are joining the flies. So many mosquitoes I have never seen. I spray my hands and ears/neck with lemon and eucalyptus, it works!  I'm thankful for the protection my headnet offers, otherwise I think I would just setup my tent for relief.  I find a nice flat spot for my camp, it's on the other side of the hill away from water so I am almost insect free here. I enjoy my dinner then setup up my tent in relative peace. In retrospect I enjoyed the day with the beautiful fields of flowers and the great vistas. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi, happy to hear from you, please post your comments here.