Wednesday, June 11, 2014

Easy Snow Crossing

Day 7

JMT Miles Hiked: 10
Hours Hiked: 6

Morning light crests the eastern mountains, silence everywhere.  The snow is frozen tight, in 1hr I make Pinchott Pass. 
My crossing to the pass 

The morning air Is cool, refrigerated just like opening the freezer, but hiking keeps me warm as I'm in my daily duds. Splendid views of huge mountains blanketed in their creases with snow. 

Looking back to the terrain I crossed to make the pass. 

Six miles to Mather Pass, can I get there before the snow softens?  I sight my decent line from Pinchott and begin, there isn't enought trail to follow, so I make my own. 

Looking back to the pass after descending

More snow on the north side

Lakes here are frozen except for the edges. 

Almost to the timberline a stop to talk with a ranger, she checks my credentials. Now into timber with the sweet scent if tamaraks and songbirds cheering me on. A doe darts across the trail about 50' ahead of me. 
The water in these lakes is crystal clear. 

A shot showing the clarity of the water. 

Many streams today, all running high with melt water, three of which offered no opportunity for a dry crossing., wet to mid calf.  Boulder strewn landscape with small patches of trees. 

The grade is good today, facilitating a good pace without out-of-breath stops. 1300 hrs above the timberline and I can see the trail up to Mather Pass. The snow is soft now, probably worse going down the other side. I watch many people pass by, see them posthole as the cross the switchbacks. I'm staying here, even though it has been another short hiking day.  One thing about being above the timberline is no shade. The sun is brutal with very little cooling breeze. I seek relief behind a large boulder to create this journal. I figure 80 miles to resupply in Reds Meadows. Usually it would take about 4 days, not sure now.  A lazy afternoon watching clouds form and napping from time to time.  Plus I can dry my boots in this intense sun. I'll try sleeping without the rainfly tonight to enjoy the stars. 
My camp tonight. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi, happy to hear from you, please post your comments here.