Sunday, June 15, 2014

Lyle Canyon

Day 15

JMT Miles Hiked: 15
Hours Hiked: 8

Wind that sounded like jet engines as it tore through the few trees around me. My tent buffeted though the onslaught all night without reprieve. Not the usual afternoon wind that dies sometime in the night, nope this one is everlasting. Morning breaks and I hope with some sunlight heating things up the intensity  of the wind may change  a little. Yes there is a slight change in the intensity, I pack my gear. The good news is, through all the nights forces on my tent, my staking and knots held exactly as I set them. 
It my not look windy but it is. Lake Garnet. 

This wind has a nice icy quality to it, forcing my to layer and use gloves. I cross the small hillocks between Garnet and Thousand Island Lake,  here and there are a few small lakes that enhance the alpine beauitfully. 
Ruby Lake

Emerald Lake

Soon enough I'm at Thousand Island Lake and rejoining the PCT. This last 14.1 section was differentl than the PCT, but beautiful in a different way, more alpine experience. 

The wind has not let up, especially above the timberline. 
My next challenge is Danahue Pass, 
nothing compared to the first five passes. The best thing about this pass is; the gateway to Lyle Canyon, a 10 mile breathtaking meadow with the pristine Tuolumne River lazily meandering throught it. 
Looking north from Donahue Pass, Lyle Canyon off in the distance. 


Lyle Canyon. 

A splendid walk after descending the Pass. I find a campsite nestled in the trees, allowing protection from winds. I'm plenty tired because I didn't sleep well last night. I have about a 5 mike walk to Tuolumne Meadows tomorrow. There I can find provisions and get my Half Dome permit. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi, happy to hear from you, please post your comments here.