Monday, June 2, 2014

Kersarge Pass to Resupply

Day 4

Miles Hiked: 5.5
Hours Hiked: 3

Cool morning windless air spurs me upward to Kersarge Pass. A cloudless early morning blue sky above and deep shadows defining the surrounding mountains. The trail quickly pass the timberline and is mostly made of decomposed granite, (DG), with the occasional rock steps. I pass through an area the still shows the damage of a avalanche, trees toppled, broken, Or completely uprooted. What a huge snow year that must have caused this. Once at the pass I can see the Owens Valley and little Independence 18 miles away. 

I wonder how I will be able to get down the 13 miles of paved road, will I have to walk?  
Looking back to the valley I camped in.  

Down the East side into a couple of valleys the first has 3 wonderful lakes, beautiful spots for camping with level locations. Very nicely wooded and crystal clear water with an occasional trout ring. Close to the outlet of the second lake a deer spy's me running a ways up the hill. As I pass I see there are two of them not far off the trail. I have noticed there hoof prints all morning here and there on the trail. Down some more to another valley with just 1 small lake, but just as nice for camping. I pass through a rock field seeing its guardian sitting upon a sutable observation post, a little pika.  Approaching slowly and speaking in calming tones I try to get a picture for you, sorry he bolted. Further along the first shooting star flower is blooming, my favorite mountain flower.  
Not the best shot, hard to see the camera as I keep the screen brightness down to save power. 

I check my phone and see I have a signal, time to call Carolyn. Below me I can see the parking lot at the trailhead, there are plenty of parked cars, I'm hoping someone will leave and take me with them back to town.  I cross the parking lot to the outlet road walking 200' to a shady spot.  I stow my trekking poles and am thinking about changing my stinky shirt when a car pulls over and offers me a ride.  Prayer answered!  13 miles later I'm thanking my driver and entering the local market/gas station. My resupply box is supposed to be here and the shopkeeper quickly starts his back room search for it. Meanwhile I select a few items I need, laundry detergent, nail clippers, sunglasses and a banana. No box, are you sure?  We both look for it and it is true my box is not here, yet I have a USPS email stating it is out for delivery. Slightly shaken as 7 days food lie in the balance, I retrieve the said email. Directly across the street is the PO, I tell my tale to the very understanding, friendly, Postmaster showing him the email. Yes he says it's here right in the back, crises averted.  Relieved I walk a block looking for a place to shower and wash my clothes, the Court House Motel. Such a small place I walk right by to see Jenny's Cafe, highly regarded by a PCT thru I spoke with this morning. 
Jenny' Cafe

Ok maybe I should indulge in a breakfast. Turns out a wonderful, friendly place with great food and I'm treated well even though I am a dirty hiker. After a splendid filling meal I walk across the street to the motel. 
Their post card. 

Another friendly person gladly helps me with information and a room. I am impressed a with thus little town of no more than 200 people, they all seem friendly and happy. Shower, wash clothes, resupply and start writing my blog and adding pictures, they have fast internet. 

Evening arrives and I'm hungry, I Yelp the 3 restaurants in town and see many out-of-towners think highly if Jenny's and the Still Life Cafe, better try the second. 
Inside the Still Life Cafe


Yes the Yelppers were correct, excellent burger and salad. 
Guinness Black, has a lager taste 

I stroll by the actual court house and stop to see what this thing is in the front lawn area, turns out it is a tufa from Mono Lake. I've driven by so many times and always wondered. 
Tufa, now we all know. 

Back to the room to finish airing out my bag and drying my tarp, chores complete, belly full. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi, happy to hear from you, please post your comments here.