Monday, June 16, 2014

Half Dome or Bears in the Night

Day 17

JMT Miles Hiked: 19
Other Miles Hiked: 3
Hours Hiked: 9

We stand around like workers waiting for the factory call to work in the chilled morning air seeking the warming sun   It's 0800 hrs and the grill still not opened, finally the casual folks open the doors and we all come together in an organized line, ready to make our orders.  I enjoy some coffee along with bacon and eggs. The general store opens at 0900 hrs so I charge my phone and buy a banana and kumbucha. I chat with hikers about what to expect on the PCT. Scorpion and Midway are here this morning, I met Scorpion in Lone Pine at the hostel. He is thinking of finishing the JMT and calling it quits as his money is running out. I encourage him in his endeavors, then take my leave as it's still cold so I gotta hike. Into the forest I go up a gental grade, as I pass Catherdral Lakes I am alone in the woods because all the people on the trail went there. I see granite domes unique in their shape, they stand as sentinals guarding the way.







Further on in a meadow I see some deer grazing. 



I pass smooth granite cut by glaciers with rocks resting on top just as they have been since the glaciers melted.


The trail is very nice most of the way after my initial climb. I enjoy some very big meadows that invite me to rest awhile, the bugs are the welcome party and quickly drive me back to the trail.


Little streams and alpine meadows on a pleasing trail, a wonderful day.  I tentively set my goal to camp at the Half Dome trail, this will allow me to climb tonight. 


Meadow by Sunrise Camp trail



This section if the trail is one if the best, I recommend taking it south to north like I'm doing, for an overnight hike this is a great section. 



So many nice meadows. 


I marvel at the crystal clear water in the creeks I cross. This land is nicely preserved. I meet several couples heading south doing the JMT, they all want to know about the snow. I think after 3 weeks of melt they should have an easier time of it, they all are happy about that.


The first snow flower spotted this trip.


I drop into a forest as the walk continues in a rapid descent. A cool dark forest walk for sometime now, so I step up my pace a little. At one little meadow I come upon another deer grazing, she is not to bothered by my presence. 





























Finally, I make the Half Dome trail, as I search for my campsite I come upon an area the is very torn up as if huge claws have dug into the ground in a frenzy. I puzzle over it as to why the ground would be in this shape. Then I almost step on a rattler, this snake is curled in a depression and did not warn me as I am accustomed.  I back away noticing the rattles are missing and blood is showing. I begin to see the picture, I think the snake bit a bear, this is the torn up dirt area, the bear ripped the snake out of itself severing part of the snakes body. I see big foot prints leaving the area in haste. Upon viewing the snake it appears it my be a mortal wound. The bear, is just long gone, if he's going to die it's not right here.



Wounded rattler in a bear print depression. 


I start my ascention to Half Dome, now keeping an eye out for the resting snakes. Once up the trail the granite steps start up the dome. I finish the steps and it us free form granite walking on a good slope with no trail markers. I calculate my time left till twilight and determine the path back with any trail marker just my points. I brought my lamp but I'm not willing to hike down this granite without a path in the dark. This then is as far as I go tonight.  Views are still spectacular.




Looking to the north

I am impressed by the makers of the stone steps, this is steep stuff. 

Back at my camp darkness falls and I'm ready to sleep, exhausted after a long day.  I'm awakened by the sound of dry branches being being broken by something big as it roams the forest, the bear. In short order the bear has found my campsite as I hear his heavy steps by my tent, he spy's my bear canister and investigates. No food here so he moves on, a peaceful night followed. 






No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi, happy to hear from you, please post your comments here.