Monday, June 2, 2014

Forester Pass

Day 3

Miles Hiked: 15
Miles JMT: 12
Hours Hiked: 10

The warmth of the sun fills my tent with a comforting greeting. No wind, just the mountain silence.  My sleep was wonderful, last night very comfortable and WARM. I pack up and am on my way to tackle the highest pass on the JMT. There is much more snow this year than when I crossed in 2012. My plan is to cross as early as possible so the snow is still firm. Once the afternoon starts the snow softens and it becomes slippery with loss of support.  Just over 3 miles to the summit, as I walk the trail,I find it has frozen water making it impossible to travel on the tread. 
Icy trail, in some places water is running under the ice. 

I'm out of the forest  above the timberline, snow fields are starting to become part of the trail. At the bottom of the final ascent I find most of the lower trail is covered with snow making it difficult if not impossible to discern where to go. I can see the trail much further up and I know there are switchbacks to get there. I decide to rock hop straight up to the visible trail above. Two other hikers are by me and are not clear what to do. I tell them my plan and point out the pass, they seem content, at least they know the goal. 
Looking back from the trail I finally made

1000 hrs I'm on the summit, grand view and a wonderful feeling of accomplishment.  
I'm at the highest point on the trail 

In a while other hikers appear and celebratie their conquest. The east side if the pass is covered completely in snow, hikers are traversing a trail through. 

I put on my micro spikes and head down the grade. The micros give me just the extra bit of control to make the task easier and safer.  The crust is still quite firm allowing me good control and a quick pace as I can avoid the holes others have made in soft snow.  
Looking back South to the pass

The snow fields are extensive with no real idea where the trail goes. 
Where is that trail?

I see the trail on the east wall where I expected it, not many foot prints in this direction. I cross snow where there was a beautiful creek before. Now I'm low enough the get pieces of the trail, that has at this point really become an irrigation ditch. I continue  blazing my trail as close to where I believe the real one lies.  Resting I take in the splendid grandure of this magnificent place. High snowy peaks surround me with the struggling tramaraks trees starting to appear before me.  
Looking North

The snow was a challenge but worth the experience. I realize that much of the beauty is covered and am a little sad I have missed it, but the grandure quickly out weights my grief and I'm happlily on my way. More rivers to cross but easily managed by logs and rocks. At one point I see the first flowers if spring, petite pink cups, a nice addition to the walk.  

The trail has become soft and more level as it winds along with a rushing river.  

Sweet, soft song bird songs drift gently on the air. Occasionally I hear a grouse making its unusual sound like blowing three times across a gallon jug. 
I come to my departure sign directiing me 7.6 miles out if the wilderness to Onion Valley where I hope to get a ride to Independece for my resupply.  I make camp just before Kersarge pass in a spot with an outstanding view. Tomorrow 5 miles to hike out. 
Bullfrog Lake


No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi, happy to hear from you, please post your comments here.