Wednesday, June 11, 2014

High Water

Day 6

JMT Mikes Hiked:  9
Hours Hiked: 8


The sound of rushing water enters my conscious, sounds a little less mad to me. I realized my permethrin hat is giving me a bit of a skin reaction about my ears, dang thought it was perfect to keep the bugs away. No hat today.  I find the trail on the other bank and it is across the widest part if the stream about 30'. No rocks to hop, nothing, wade in and get going that's the plan. Shortly I see a doe grazing in a very small meadow, she watches me closely, but does not move far away.  




Ancient forest with gnarled trees standing firm in the face of severe nature.  Dropping further into the valley flowers are just starting to begin, Shooting Stars, Indian Paintbrush, and some small buttercups. 
Indian Paintbrush
Shooting Stars are coming on strong

Water is everywhere and lots of it on the trail.  A suspension bridge allows access to the rest of the trail, by crossing all that collected water. Slow and easy is the name of the game as this one moves with any effort at all.  

The trail turns up a canyon with a fast moving river close by.  

The river makes nice company for about a mile or so, then I turn away into another ancient forest offering shade and resting spots, which I take full advantage of.  
Now I'm into snow covered trail and the sun us intense making it soft. I work to the timberline, the snow has become so soft I posthole frequently. The summit is about a mile away, I decide to continue if the snow in this section is firm enough, no, I'll make my camp here, very early but some good spots. The struggle with high water crossings, snow, plus an early day has made for low miles, oh well better to enjoy the scenery. 
My camp at the foot of Pincott Pass

Night falls

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi, happy to hear from you, please post your comments here.