Wednesday, June 11, 2014

Milky Way

Day 8

JMT Miles Hiked: 18
Hours Hiked:  12

Once the moon was gone the Milky Way became visible, incredible beauty at this altitude. Two shooting stars graced the night sky making a wonderful night. My bag is a little damp this morning, I'll dry it out in the afternoon. No time to delay I want to get over Mather Pass while the snow is frozen. I'm at the summit in about 45 min, no issues. 
 Mather Pass summit view looking south from my way up

Mather Pass summit view looking north my way down. 

Enjoy the views for a while then try to locate the trail, no where to be seen. I check my map and deteime the general route to take. The snow is hard and easy for me to grip, I make slow but better headway than on soft snow. I can see some of the deep postholes others have made and am glad I'm not doing that, still caution is the name of the game, I have to be aware of water running underneath the snow and avoid those areas. Rock hopping is part of the way down, caution here as well is required, testing each rock for a solid foundation and avoiding getting down in between rocks that could move. All this care takes time. I locate the trail and remove my microspikes, I'm off. I am happy for the challenge and excitement of the snow, but I've seen these mountains in their beautiful summer clothes and feel a little bit cheated cause it's all frozen now.  Then I come upon trail like this. 

The sun is at my back the air is sweet and cool and the trail heads downhill for ten miles. Marmonts are everywhere, they have a blond ring around the neck instead of rust and their bodies are mocha with a shimmer as they waddle.  I pass Palasades Lake, stopping to enjoy trout lazily drifting along in the shallows. 

I stop for a snack at the end of this beautiful lake just before the outlet water rushes down a steep canyon. So steep the trail switches back untold times, I named it the stairway to heaven.  I hear the raging water work it's way down the grade, then the trail comes close. 

The trail winds through a rocky area where I see a little pica scurry for cover. 
The flowers are just beginning to start at this elevation, little tiny spots of pink, yellow or blue appear spioradicly. 

These delightful flowers fill the air with a chocolate mint scent. 

 I find a cool forest for a small part of the trail, there are many areas cleared out from alavanches or fire.  Once at the bottom I find a suitable place to get water, dry my bag and relax a while waiting out some afternoon heat.  I place all my gear close as a doe and her yearling are wondering close around camp. 
Suspicious doe

Lying on my tarp I watch the sky suddenly change from some cumulus clouds to a full cover of clouds. I figure an afternoon thunder shower that will make the air a special sweet scent. I pack up because the othe advantage is the sun is blocked and hiking is easier.  Up the middle fork of the King River, it is running just as wildly as the rest, with white water.  Suddenly the  terrain flattens and this mad river becomes a quiet lazy river winding through a beautiful meadow. 
Middle fork of The King River 

I contine on up the trail with huge. Walls of rock towering on both sides. Water falls form high up cascading like lace down shear rock. 


The canyon turns left following the river I am just about 4 miles from Muir Pass, I think I'll seek a camp site in the trees tonight in case it rains, I'm at 10,000 ' and figure I can make the pass in good time tomorrow. 
Red heather is blooming on the river bank.  Plus today was a dry boots stream crossing as each stream either had logs or rocks for crossing. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi, happy to hear from you, please post your comments here.