Wednesday, June 11, 2014

Glenn Pass in the Snow

Day 5

JMT Miles Hiked: 9
Other Miles Hiked: 7.6
Hours Hiked: 11

The  sun rises over the Eastern White Mountains making long shadows as I stand at the beginning of the 13 mile acess road to Kersarge Pass. 
Looking east to Kersarge Pass

 Hoping to catch a ride from an early morning fisherman or hiker, the only prospects are the county maintenance crew as they move their vehicles to a job. I figure after and hour of pacing, just head to Jenny's for breakfast and the outside chance of finding hikers for a ride. Jenny's opens at 0700 hrs, I'm a few minutes early. Out front a couple waits as well. Morning greeting are exchanged and then the question of where I'm going with my obvious pack. I explain and low, Charlie-Tango is a PCT section hiker going to finish the last piece to complete his PCT adventure. Yes they will be starting after breakfast and I am welcome to eat with them and get a ride. We enjoy a exciting discussion about the PCT and gear while eating a splendid breakfast. I'm careful to eat power food and not so much to bog me down, cheese and bacon omelet with tomatoes on the side. Two other hikes appear, they're from Germany, Princess and Mr. Sandles, they ride with us to the trailhead.  
Charlie-Tango and his sister-law Sue

Thank yous and good wishes for a safe trip all around, then I'm off. I find the ascent to be easier than I expected as if my body has finally said "alright if this is the abuse we have to do every day then let's get on with it", anyway I feel great. I reach Kersarge Pass at 1100 hrs, only a two hr ascention. So far the hike is familiar because I hiked it yesterday. I have about 2 more miles to rejoin the JMT then 4 to Glenn Pass. I'm concerned about the pass in the afternoon as there may be a lot if snow that is too soft. I decide to hike as far as I can then camp if conditions are not favorable. The hike is well graded with little incline, lots of DG underfoot for the pleasant crunching sound, sweet scents from the trees, and the occasional richly hued golden and rust, marmot keeping and eye on me.
I hike to the first snow, testing it, manageable and low possibility of postholing.  I know camp sites exist above so I start out, so it goes as the climb continues with sucess. 
View from the top looking north towards Rae Lakes

Arriving at the top I enjoy the grandure, relax, then figure out where the trail is, because there is a LOT of snow. Test again, manageable.  
Atop the pass. 

 I slowly work my way across the slope to the beginning if the switchbacks, 
Two hikers working towards the switchbacks. 

I plant each step carefully for my own safety and those that will cross in the ice tomorrow. Working the rocks and snow to a chute I can glissade. Reaching the chute I carefully step planting each step, I prepare my pole with wrist straps on so they aren't lost, I can use them as a bit of a brake. Ok once I sit down I going to be off like a rocket, bam I'm down and moving fast, ice slush is flying everywhere, into my face as well. It is exciting as well as refreshing, I come to a stop on the snow runout at the rock line, used my poles to brake some, nice run.  
My glissade path

Now flatter yet still extensive fields of snow to tackle. The crust is strong still at this time of day., so I gladly continue. Finally at at Rae Lakes and no snow.  These lakes are nestled at the foot of a mountain backdrop. They are deep blue with aquamarine edges. 
Rae Lake

As I walk 8" trout cruse the shallow waters for food with the occasional rise and ring of water.
My resting spot

 I rest in this splendid place thinking  about staying. Still I would like to get a bit lower to tackle Pincot Pass tomorrow.


 I descend into a valley carved by glaciers, water runs everywhere, the biggest stream is on my left. Meadows appear and the trail crosses the stream via a log, but where from here, I face a huge granite boulder and no trail, oh it's under water. I find some rocks to use then a place to scale the rock, yea back on the trail. Both sides of the valley are boardered by high peaks, the shadows are growing as the sun is dropping behind a peak. 


 I'm looking for a flat place to camp when I come upon a water crossing.  Mad water rushing from today's  melt. With an ambitious crossing. I investigate, not going to be easy, perhaps in the morning the flow will be a litte less from the nights freeze. I'll make camp in a tiny spot under some trees over looking the mad stream.  Nice flat spot to sleep and I'm sleep immediately after my chores. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi, happy to hear from you, please post your comments here.