Wednesday, June 11, 2014

Thunder Storm

Day 12

JMT Miles Hiked: 16
Other Miles Hiked: 2
Hours Hiked:  10

 Did I forget to mention they have freshly baked pies?

A robust breakfast of an egg and bacon burrito in the company of Mulberry and Charlie-Tango, Mr Cup from Japan is at another table, we exchange greetings.  Into the jeep 4 of us load our gear, we drive to the skiff because the lake us so low.  Instead of hiking around the lake we are taking the water taxi. Jean our driver drops us on the lake bottom about 2 miles from the JMT. 

Lake bottoms are like a desert 

Silver Pass at 10,748' it is the first goal today.  I catch up with Mulberry at a ford, this one means getting wet. I put on my camp sandals and cross easily, want to keep my boots dry today.   I come across a peaceful meadow on the way up. 

The alpine section has a couple of lakes, from one I hear frogs singing. 
Looking south just prior to the pass

The climb takes the morning, we finally arrive at 1300 hrs. I leave Mulberry there enjoying his lunch, we both realize we may never see one another again as he is not going to Mammoth Lakes. I've enjoyed his brief companionship the last 2 days. He is an avid hiker about 70 years in age and enjoys the solitude of the mountains as I do. I enjoy the views from the pass mostly to the north, Silver Pass Lake lies at the base. 
Silver Pass Lake

The alpine section on this side is more spectacular than the south, lakes reflecting the mountain backdrop give me pause. 

A pleasant tread for awhile, easy to walk and enjoy the surroundings. 


Descending into the valley, I am accompanied by a nice stream. 

Another climb to a nondescript pass, fully exposed climb in the afternoon sun. Happy to say the cumulus clouds that have been building all day are now providing shade, the addition of a good cool breeze assists me in this climb of a "thousand" switchbacks.  Over the top lies Virginia Lake, so pretty I decide to take a break here. 
Virginia Lake

I would like to hike another 4 miles to Duck Lake area before I quit today.  I'm hiking at the edge of building thunderheads, splendid to watch the anvil heads develop. The sky to the north is a menacing dark gray. The trail actually turns into the menacing clouds and I hear the first clap of distant thunder.  It's far away, I continue on my plan to Duck Llake. After awhile the weather condition worsens, an occasional drop of rain, more dark sky. Ok I know the signs, but I'm on a steep slope where camp sites are difficult to locate. I find a suitable place by a medium tree well away from high points. I feel sure I can level the uphill side. Tent up and I see rain drops on it, as I load my gear inside the rain and hail start. I'm dry, my gear is also, the thunder and lighting show has started. As the storm moves over me the lighting flashes and tremendous thunder follows echoing off the mountains, deep, loud, and long.  I get to enjoy thus powerful show for about 2 hrs. The air is sweet with the smell of rain and it just drips onto my tent lightly now, the hail has melted and I am cozy in my bag. 







No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi, happy to hear from you, please post your comments here.