Wednesday, June 11, 2014

Muir Pass Or The Most Snow Yet

Day 9

JMT Miles Hiked: 21
Hours Hiked: 11.5

Sweet birdsong woke my to a exceiting and challenging day. I pack in a jiff as I want to tackle Muir Pass while the snow is still hard. Four miles to the top, I walk briskly. The sun is just showing on the western peaks. 

Looking back on the canyon I ascended, I marvel at the distance and altitude achieved. 
Valley of the Middle Fork of the King River

I pass through alpine meadows, this is one of the most beautiful canyons on the trip. 

The work is now to begin, ahead is a climb through the most snow on any pass so far. I'm pleased that the snow is firm, but surprised it is not hard frozen. The weather has warmed and the nights are not as cold as a few days ago, so the snow at lower altitudes is not hard. I climb carefully crossing the snow like walking on eggs, heavy foot placement may mean a posthole. 
Helen Lake

I continue to climb and the snow becomes firmer yet the top is starting to get slushy already and it's only 0830. I begin to become concerned about the descent. Finally the Muir Hut comes into view, I've made the pass. There are a few other hikers including Charlie-Tango, Princess , Mr Sandals and Arabian. 
Amazing that this structure is build here and so well.

On top!

Now I want to get going to avoid a difficult descent. The snow is softening even at this altitude, I set my line and start walking, carefully. 
Looking north from the Muir Hut 

Soon I'm low enought to be by Wanda Lake, still frozen. 
Wanda Lake 

Now the snow is softening in the morning sun, postholing is starting to happen. I get lower and the postholing is more frequent, there are shallow streams under the snow which get my feet wet as I break through. The whole mountain is wet, my boots become wet as well, not going to be a dry day. Finally the snow is gone and I can walk on the trail, and cross the Evolution Creek. 
Some rocks are under water, so just another wet boot crossing. 

The alpine scenery is superb, green grass, stunted trees, diminutive shrubbery.  Evolution Lake is spectacular. 
Evolution Lake

Now a descent into a deep canyon, this will take hours to get to the bottom. On the way I am suppressed to see wild onions in many places along the trail. I sample some, they are hot, yet have a pleasing taste. I enjoy the greenery in my diet and savor the onion taste. 
Wild onions, delicious

About now I'm thinking of food other than my hiker food. Even though I have a variety of wholesome foods, none sounds good to me today, I want a burger or a bacon, cheese, tomato, omelet. My resupply point in Mammoth Lakes is 40 miles away, maybe be there in 2 to 3 days. The trail is faster now and the passes will not be as herendious. The five most challenging passes have been met and achieved, plus Evoultion Creek a good size creek, I say river has been crossed. This creek can be a challenge to do, it is always feared. Today the current was pushing but it is manageable and the depth came to my knees, not a dry boot crossing. 
Evolution Creek

On for some more miles following the South Fork of the San Joaquin. This river runs in a deep canyon with the trail high above the ragging waters.  
South Fork of the San Joaquin 

After a while the canyon spreads out allowing the water to be accessed.   

I find a nice camp site right by the river. Been a long hard, satisfying day. 




No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi, happy to hear from you, please post your comments here.