Monday, June 2, 2014

The Price of a Long First Day

Day 2

Miles Hiked: 9.5
Hours Hiked: 9

The soft sounds of quiet talking and crunching on the trail awaken me at 0530  hrs, thru hikers going to Whitney. I roll over electing to give my tired body some more repair time. I slept with my water as I expect freezing temp at this altitude. All night I struggled with cold feet, not realizing in my exhaustion that the bottom zipper of my bag was open. 0730 hrs I decide I've slacked enough, break camp and start my slow moving day.
Morning view of Mt Hitchcock

In 2012 I jetted down this trail without problem, today I move like a slug, I had 700 miles of training  behind me in '12. Appearently morning walks and one 94 mile hike around Mt, Rainier does not in shape keep you. The trail is good with some granite steps to maneuver. I pass a beautiful stream no more than 4' wide with 8" trout lazily moving I the slow current. Tried to get a picture for you, but they spook every time I try.
There are fish in there. 

Crossed 3 streams that required stepping on submerged rocks, GoreTex boots keep me dry before but I got wet today. The good news is the sloshing is gone in about 5 steps and I warm in no time. Through a forest with many tired and past trees standing as sentinals to their great time here. The wood has a beautiful golden glow, with the morning light and colbolt sky.

 I emerge from the forest to fine a small lake surrounded by interesting meadow grasses. 

Marmont, they are frequently spotted while hiking. Curious not skittish. 

The afternoon wind is picking up and blows cool across the meadow, I don my wind breaker.  3 miles from Foresster Pass the highest pass on the JMT, too late in the day to cross as the snow on the north side will be soft causing postholeing when crossing. Postholing is when one sinks thru the crust up to you knee or worst, makes for slow movement. 1630 hrs and I decide to make camp a in the last forested area prior to the timberline. Not the high mileage day I planned, but I'm happy for the rest and time to blog. 



No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi, happy to hear from you, please post your comments here.