Sunday, June 15, 2014

Mammoth Lakes to Garnet Lake

Day 14

JMT Miles Hiked: 12
Hours Hiked: 6

Walking from the motel I notice the wind is up today, I wonder how it will effect my hike. 
Waiting for the free trolley for a ride to the village, it appears and then drives by. I guess I should have waved because standing at the bus stop seems meaningless.  A moment later a car stops and the driver says he can take me to the ski area lodge, this is much better. Jack , the driver, owns the local hostel, as well as being a hiker.  A few minutes go by standing at the lodge and a truck with a seismic testing  crew stop to offer me a ride to Devil's Postpile. In no time I'm viewing the Postpile and starting on the trail, thanks to the kindness of local people in Mammoth. 

Devil's Postpile 


I cross the middle fork of the San Joaquin and start my days journey. 

 
The walk today consists of a forest walk in some of the area damaged during the 2012 wind event.  Then on to a continual incline grade through white and red firs mixed with tamarak. Occasionally I am greated with a small lake. 


The mountain heather is blooming in small patches here and there. As I walk I can hear the wind in the tree tops, a gental breeze that works it's way down to me, making my hike pleasant. 


I miss the songbirds today as the forest has the Steller Jay as it's bird. For all the beautiful plumage this bird has why hasn't  it ever developed a suitable song to match. Perhaps it's the little mohawk it wears the gives it a bad attitude. Anyway forest squaking is fairly unpleasant, he leaves after a little while, ah peace. 

Rosile Lake

I relax on the shores of this little lake, taking some nourishment. I am not in a hurry to make distance today as I've got my permit and plenty of time to hike. 

A little alpine meadow at the top of the climb, plus this pretty little lake. 

I'll make my camp a Garnet Lake tonight. Descending into the Garnet Lake watetshed the wind is blowing across the lake. I find a suitable campsite offering some wind protection. I am buffeted by a high wind all evening, I hope this calms down by nightfall. . 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi, happy to hear from you, please post your comments here.