Wednesday, June 11, 2014

VVR

Day 10

JMT Miles Hiked: 24
Off Trail Miles Hiked: 4
Hours Hiked: 12.5

Rushing river music rouses and encourges me to get going. Selden Pass awaits, at 10,910' it is lower than the other passes, offering little snow.  I travel along the S. Fork of the San Joaquin for a while in and out of aspens, then into the forest.
Tamaracks and sugar pines alternate in the forest, creeks small easily crossed then several requiring log walking, always challenging on the small logs. Happily boots dry.  Two lakes, Sallie Keys, appear and they invite me to rest on their splendid green shores.  However, mosquitoes have another idea and quickly drive me back to the trail. 
Sallie Keys Lake 

Upon crossing the small isthmus between the two lakes I notice beautiful native rainbow, stunning colors flash upon their sides. 
Sallie Keys two. 

Now the ascention begins in ernest, the walk is enjoyable but not as hard as the other passes. More groupings of wild flowers appear adding a cheerfulness to the trail. 


Looking back I enjoy the elevation I've gained and marvel at the gleaming lakes below. 
Sallie Keys two 

The pass has little snow on either side, making my hike faster and easier. Looking north I see my direction to Marie Lakes. 


Marie Lakes

Walking by Marie Lakes I pause to enjoy the reflection of the mountain backdrop. 

Alpine hiking is my favorite, it is very nice today as it lasts for a while.  Then a long forest walk, much appreciated because it offers protection from the high afternoon heat. The last uphill section got the day arrives and it seems to go on forever, aspens line the trail creating an uplifting feeling with their sweet scent and quaking leaves. Vermillion Valley Resort is off the trail at the west end of Lake Edison.  At this point, eating my hiking food is becoming disenchanting I am craving something else, as well as clean clothes and body. As I approach the turnoff I make my decision, dreaming of and tasting some freshly hot prepared food, yes!  Mulberry, an older hiker doing the PCT departs with me, joining as comrades in this effort. We met briefly before Mather Pass, he chose to go I chose to wait till morning. Then again at Bear Creek crossing where we chat and get to know one another. I put him in his 70's and he can hike!  I'm surprised at how low the water level is as I walk across the dam. 
Lake Edison, usually no islands. 

Arrived at 1900 hrs, washed secured lodging and ordered dinner. What a wonderful feeling to sit in a restaurant eating delicious food. Sleep tonight is hard coming as my feet and calves pay me back got pushing them so hard. Non-the-less I'm happy for the opportunity to regroup and relax. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi, happy to hear from you, please post your comments here.