Sunday, March 12, 2017

A Frozen World

  • Day:  2
  • Start:  10.4
  • End:  24.2
  • Miles:  13.8
  • Hours:  10
  • High temp:  41
  • Low temp:  28
  • People met:  25 thru hikers

    I wake to a hard frozen morning, my tent polar are frozen to the grommets. My hands ache after breaking camp. I start hiking straight away to hasten the heat generating. I'm wearing two additional layers plus my gloves. Blessed warmth comes soon as the hike is uphill. A forest if rhoadies, no blooms yet, graces the trail. They are a refreshing break from the bare forest.

     

     
    Views from the trail

    The is plenty of water here, I'm carrying 2 liters, but could get by with 1. 

    By noon the forest warms about all its going too and I drop 1 layer. 

     
    The first real view

     
    The first hint of Spring at Woody Gap

    I pass a granite marker honoring  a teacher, Woody, who taught school for logging town children in 1906. 

    Cloud cover starts in and the forecast is for rain followed by snow tonight. I reach Lance Creek my designated camp location. The place is packed with hikers, I estimate 23. I move on, climbing out of the draw looking for a flat spot that is unused. I find just a perfect spot out of sight of the trail and level with just enough drainage to keep the water away from my tent. I setup expecting rain and snow.  Rain starts in spurts as expected, then continues at a steady pace. So far my pitch is keeping me dry. Once again spent and sore from the trail, I happily welcome my bed and sleep.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi, happy to hear from you, please post your comments here.