Tuesday, March 14, 2017

Mountain Crossing

  • Day:  3
  • Start:  24.2
  • End:  31.4
  • Miles:  7.2
  • Hours:  4
  • High temp:  38
  • Low temp:  27
  • People met:  30+ thrus

 
Morning by Larson Creek after cleaning the snow off my tent

Not only is it not spring in Georgia it is in the middle of winter! Apparently Hurricane Stella is bringing cold, and I can verify cold, artic air down the middle of our country then turning into the South.  Sometime in the early morning the gentle soft rain stopped and I knew it was now snowing.  I slept warm and dry, got a good pitch on my tent. None the less, I will have to dry my gear from the moisture that clings to the ground  cloth and the rainfly. To dry my gear I usually wait until the afternoon when the best chance of warming sun is possible, we'll see.  So I packup and head out to Mountain  Crossing just a little over 7 miles away. 

 
Thought this was attractive 

The trail is well marked on the AT with white blazes on the rocks and trees. Today the tread  is showing thru the surrounding snow, this makes for a simple route finding experience. I am staying warm with the slight exception of my face, which is taking the wind and granular snow. I am alone even though there are many on the trail we are spaced nicely, so I can enjoy the quite of the forest. I am the first to break trail today and I follow some coyotes running the trail by their footprints.  More footprints, a squirrel and a rabbit, but that's all. 

The trail stays clear longer

 

So 1300 hrs is approaching and there isn't a chance I'll dry my gear. There is some warmth coming but it's making the forest rain from the melting snow. 

 
Mountain  Crossing store and hostel. Notice the shoes in the trees. 

 
 Seems like an inviting place in nice weather. 

So let's see if Mountain Crossing has a bunk and food. Well yes they do, just one left. I grab it and get a frozen pizza.  The proprietor warms my pizza perfectly and I descend to the hostel for s place to sit and enjoy my food. The pizza was remarkable or would any food other than what I'm carrying taste just as good. I don't know for sure but this pizza was soooo delicious. Got my bunk and start my gear drying.  There are about 14 thru hikers here, all very nice people. My evening is spent drying and posting combined with the occasional interaction with other thrus. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi, happy to hear from you, please post your comments here.