Thursday, March 16, 2017

Unicoi Gap

  • Day:  5
  • Start:  42.9
  • End:  52.6
  • Miles:  9.7
  • Hours:  5
  • High temp:  36
  • Low temp:  28
  • People met:  14 thru hikers

 
A peek outside my tent this morning, not that motivating. 

Forecast is for even cold weather today and tonight, there's less than 10 miles to Unicoi Gap and my first resupply box, that's my motivation.  After a very casually late start this morning the entire shelter camp is empty save one thru hiker, Spiro. He is making  his late breakfast at the shelter when I come down from my camp. After and exchange of pleasantries he offers to watch my gear as I hike up to the latrine. Thankful to be out of the granular snow, grapple. 

 
I know, just thought you might like to see it anyway. 

The trail is well darkened by the boots before me.  The temperature is just above freezing with a 5-10 mph side wind blowing the grapple at my face. The occasional squirrel and small bird are all the forest friends today. Today's trail is not hard and I tell myself as I go, 10 miles is easy. After about 4 miles I come upon the huge group that dominated the camp ground, maybe 12 people. They are thoughtful and allow me to pass as I'm going at a better clip. 

 
This snowy trail reminds me of a Robert Frost poem I have always loved. 

Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening
Whose woods these are I think I know.   
His house is in the village though;   
He will not see me stopping here   
To watch his woods fill up with snow.   

My little horse must think it queer   
To stop without a farmhouse near   
Between the woods and frozen lake   
The darkest evening of the year.   

He gives his harness bells a shake   
To ask if there is some mistake.   
The only other sound’s the sweep   
Of easy wind and downy flake.   

The woods are lovely, dark and deep,   
But I have promises to keep,   
And miles to go before I sleep,   
And miles to go before I sleep.

In a while I find a nice water source so I top off my water. I'm carrying 2 liters and have yet to break into a second liter. There is plenty of water up here this time of year. 

After a climb I'm ready for a snack so I turn off the rest out of the storm at the Blue Mountain Shelter. Trapper and his friends are here, which makes for a delightful break. They are going to stay the night even thought they are already cold and miserable. I take my leave wishing them well to the same positive wishes. Only 2.4 miles to go and most of it is downhill.  

"The woods are lively dark and deep" 


In what seems like short order I see the road and I am delighted to have made my goal now to the hostel or town, but how?  There are two hikers waiting for a shuttle and we've met before at Mountain Crossing. 
I start making some calls to find refuge from the storm  finally I locate the last room at Mulls Motel in the center of town. Now how to get there.  I ask my companions if their shuttle driver might fit me in.  There reply was we don't know but we'll find out right now as he just drove up. The answer is, "yes" and there is 1 seat left. I'm on my way.  
The room is like toast and sooo welcoming.  I am so thankful for the blessings of this day. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi, happy to hear from you, please post your comments here.