Wednesday, March 22, 2017

Winding Stairs

  • Day:  11
  • Start:  109.5
  • End:  126.7
  • Miles:  17.2
  • Hours:  8
  • High temp:  72
  • Low temp:  42
  • People met:  8

The air is still and suprisingly warm as I make my way down the block to a cafĂ©. A proper breakfast with eggs is what I favor. I used my ear plugs last night as the neighbors where a bit loud, slept really well.  Just taking a pre hike snooze while waiting for Ron to get his shuttle running. Just 4 of us in the shuttle this am, all heading to Winding Stair  Gap. So I think it must be a law here in North Carolina that when spring comes winter is over and that's it. Today seems like a pleasant spring day.  Within the first half hour off goes the jacket, up goes the sleeves, and off goes the hat. This morning will turn into a hot day.  The morning grade is  slight allowing me a constant stride. The forest already has the warm scent of cut walnut wood. There are 6 young hikers hiking around me. I pass them and then they pass me. For the last several days on the trail I have hiked thru the fire zone. You may remember the local towns were threatened by this fire late last year it was a very bug national news deal. I've seen much worse fire devastation then this.  It seems in places the fire was fast and hot only taking the downed trees and undergrowth, perhaps saving the trees to live on. A favorite lookout, Wayah Bald, was in the heat of this fire, totaly burned the timber roof. 

Firefighters took a stand here and made a difference 

The Wayah Bald roof burned completely 

 
 A nice view still remains

 
 The plaque on the tower, some may find the name interesting 

The afternoon air thickens making it difficult to extract O2 form the moist air. I find my climbs require frequent rests because of the low air level. 

This shelter was built in the 30's

 
 Strongly built to last 

Just 2 hikers here, one a pleasant young man and the other a noisy know-it -all.  My patience runs out with kmowit so I wish them a good hike and I hike on to find a level spot for the night. 

 
The view from my tent, far off thunderheads

So one of the items I look forward to in my food bag is the Mighty Bar.  Just in case you wonder what I eat. 

 

Time to retire and read my book a while. My legs and feet are thanking me for laying down..

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi, happy to hear from you, please post your comments here.