Sunday, March 19, 2017

Goodbye Georgia

  • Day:  8
  • Start:  69.3
  • End:  88.6
  • Miles:  19.3
  • Hours:  12
  • High temp:  53
  • Low temp:  36
  • People met:  10

A very nice rest last night.  Ear plugs are the ticket in a bunkhouse, nothing bothered me. Breakfast at 0700 hrs then a quick ride to the trail at 0800 hrs. The rain is just starting, it is gentle and soft. Barely making a sound as it hits my rain jacket. Then a plack sound as the big drops fall from the trees. No wind so just the sound of rain as my company this morning. Just the two of us leaving this morning others are still in tents or catching the 0900 ride up.  The forecast is for sunshine and no rain this afternoon, I'm banging my hat on that. 

 
The trail just disappears in the clouds

Hiking in the clouds is actually a delight, the closeness and quiet are a treasure. 
Before I realize my location I come upon the Georgia/ North Carolina border. So it's hello NC. To make sure I am worthy the hardest ascent yet is now before me.  The grade is very steep, perhps 50 degrees or more. 

 
Seems like a bit more fanfare should be in order for the first state line. 

 
Might be scary if it was Halloween 

 
Lots of water up here

Well the rain did stop and the sun did shine intermittently. I hiked my best miles so far today and finally found a level spot as the evening started to cool off. It may freeze tonight so my water is inside. A very good day today. Oh, I did see Trapper John several times today. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi, happy to hear from you, please post your comments here.