Sunday, March 12, 2017

Springer Mountain

  • Day:  1
  • Start:  0
  • End:  10.4
  • Miles:  10.4
  • Hours:  7
  • High temp:  45
  • Low temp:  38
  • People met:   20 thru hikers

A splendid home cooked breakfast of French toast, yogurt, scrambled eggs and hot coffee was prepared by our hosts. We are all ready to load our packs into the shuttle and start the adventure. 

Ray stacking packs

Our shuttle driver drops us off at 1000 hrs. Everyone is excited to start. Getting to Springer Mountain requires a .9  mi. hike southbound, we are all heading northbound, so thats an additional 9 mi. extra distance not counted.  

 
 
 
That is supposed to be a smile, guess the cold air is just getting the better of my usual happy disposition. 

 
A view from the top

The air temperature is surprisingly cool for the South and Spring is just at the first early signs. The positive side is I can actually see thru the trees. Once leaf out occurs the trail becomes a green tunnel.  Since I chose to harden on the trail my initial mileages will be less than what I am capable of.  I am finding it is probably better to do the initial hardening at home, somewhat sore. 

 
Almost like a burn area

A whole different forest here

The trail is damp from last night's thunder showers making for a dust free hike. There are plenty of ups  and downs with a moderate amount of rocks.  I reach 10.4 miles and feel like I haven't done enough, but I'm spent, so Horse Gap is my first camp.  The wind is rushing thru the trees like a freight train, I can hear it coming from a distance.  Bit of a challenge to setup camp, but no spots were immune from the onslaught. 
Aaaahh, so nice to get into my bag.

  


No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi, happy to hear from you, please post your comments here.