Monday, March 27, 2017

Storm

  • Day:  16
  • Start:  180.1
  • End:  189.0
  • Miles:  8.9
  • Hours:  4
  • High temp:  55
  • Low temp:  40
  • People met:  15

During the night a storm rolled in continuing into the morning. Everyone was slow to rise, no motivation. The forcast is for similar weather for the next 3 days.  I set my sights for the next shelter, Derrick.  Not far away but chances are good that I can get a spot inside the shelter. Today's adventure takes me over Old Rocky Top, elev 5422'. Once there I'm in the clouds with a nice wind blowing. No view as a reward today just the fact that it's completed.  I pass 7 hikers going north, some from last night's shelter some new. 


In the clouds

About 1200 hrs the clouds lift and a hint of sunshine comes through. I debate on stowing my rain jacket, but decide to keep it on. The trail this morning is soaked with many muddy sections and even several spots when the tread becomes a creek.  I arrive at Derrick Shelter and it is empty.  I choose to make it a short day to make sure I get a spot in the shelter. In short order hikers appear most wanting to hike to the next shelter. Then a hail shower happens and many are thinking of staying. Rock Hopper and Mabdrake have stopped by to dry out and have lunch. They sang their song about the Smokies, lots of fun. The temperature drops making it cold in.the shelter even though it is now full of people. 

 
Derrick shelter 

 
Some overflow tents
The evening comes and people finish their meals then prepare for bed. Two men around my age are thru hiking. In talking to them they have done from Georgia through the Smokies as Scouts. Now they are attempting a thru hike. One fellow, John had and old picture of the two of them in their uniforms heading out for this very shelter. Nice that the friendship has lasted all these years. I had a great conversation with the other fellow about ships as his livelihood was working on ships. About 2000 hrs everyone got quiet and sleep took over the shelter.  Another restful nights sleep with my ear plugs in. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi, happy to hear from you, please post your comments here.