Friday, March 24, 2017

The Lodge

  • Day:  14
  • Start:  163.9
  • End:  163.9
  • Miles:  0
  • Hours:  0
  • High temp:  72
  • Low temp:  36
  • People met:  19

The post office opened at 1145 hrs, its located adjacent to the laundry so another little hike.. I get there a little early so I make a stop at the grocery store next door.  Great they have Epsom salts and my water bottles.  I sort out my food for the next leg and complete my plans. Plus fit in a nice nap. One day makes such a difference in how my body feels, days off ate essential. Mandrake, Rock Hopper and Onthego have arrived also.  Nice to see them. There are lots of hikers here, lots are just hiking through the Smokies.  
There is a restaurant just down the hall providing a nice breakfast and lunch.  Dinner as well, but I'll pass eating in the evening keeps me up at night, I figured out eating dinner makes my body say, 'wow, let's hike' and I don't get to sleep until about 0500 hrs. 

 
Onthego resting by the fire

 
Back side of the lodge. 

 
Coffee service with fresh baked cookies

 
Layout of the Village, this is a very large facility 

When I lost every day I try to help people feel and see the trail.  I thought I should share some thoughts for those who do not understand thru hiking.  People say it's not that hard, just a walk in the woods then every few days you rest and eat out. Well, it is never a walk in the woods, it is hard work carrying 30 lbs or more up steep winding trails full of rocks, roots, mud, ice and downed trees. Downhill is not much easier as the hazards are the same requiring close concentration on the trail.  By the time I reach the top of these intense climbs I'm wringing wet. That requires more water and at 2.2 lbs per liter it's a dear cost to carry. Water must always be managed, I must plan ahead every day, travel distances between sources and sometimes the sources require plenty of effort to get water from a small trickle and it all.must be filtered.  Food is another complex facet of long term hiking, I carefully select nutritious organic foods with a high fat content, good proteins and low sugar.  I strive for a 35% fat, 15% protein and 50% complex carbohydrates.  Still my food fuels me but not enough to maintain my weight.  According to fitbit I burn over 5000 cal a day, it's why hikers develop a hiker hunger and feed like starving wolves whenever they can. By the time the end 2100 miles approaches I cannot eat enough. I must carry enough equipment to remain safe and  self sufficient considering all the conditions I must face.  I say a hiker must carry enough to remain safe and not become a burden to others.  Every night I must protect my food from animals, especially bears.  I hang my food bag high 15' up and 6' away from the trunk.  I have to take care to make sure nothing about me or my pack smells like food or scented things like toothpaste and suntan lotion.  My feet are a huge concern if they become damaged hiking becomes a misery. I've worn and researched many different kinds socks and boots.  Because of changing of the seasons socks and boots must be adjusted for temperature to avoid burning too much water.  I must be alert to poison ivy and oak along with rattlesnakes. I have professionally treated my clothes to help repel ticks that are in abundance on the AT.  In short, it is a challenge to do a thru hike, taking lots of planning just to be able to work hard every day walking more miles than most of us normally do, stay fit and safe, it's simply not a walk in the woods. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi, happy to hear from you, please post your comments here.