Friday, March 24, 2017

Fontana Dam

  • Day:  13
  • Start:  142.6
  • End:  163.9
  • Miles:  21.3
  • Hours:  11
  • High temp:  72
  • Low temp:  36
  • People met:  9

Sleep came so nicely and lasted so long. Some crazy dreams from the chill but thats ok. So I guess the North Carolina law about spring is not true as this morning is very cool requiring my gloves and jacket. There is still some uphill climb left to generate some good heat. 
 
Normal trail section this time of year

I dropped down to a gap and started climbing a section called 'Jacobs Ladder'. This was long a hard climb. On the way I met Mandrake and Rock Hopper, husband and wife from upstate NY. They carry a ukulele and were playing a song for some other hikers. Really very sweet sounds filling the forest, gave me a lift on the uphill climb.  

 
My first glance of the Fontana Reservoir 

The afternoon has warmed so I rolled my selves and stowed my cap. I'm drinking more water now because of the sweating which means more frequent water stops.  I meet up with Mandrake, Rock Hopper, Huluhoop and Onthego at a shelter with a good water supply. Nice group.  We crossed paths for the rest of the day until the last shelter at Cable Gap where they decided to stop.  As usual the tent sites and the shelter where a city by my standards so I continued up the last grade before Fontana Dam, my next resupply. I figured I'd get to a nice flat spot somewhere on top.  Thing is when I got to the top the hike downhill made more sense than staying, so I hiked out.

 
Its hard to see, but thats the Dam outflow 

So when I get to the road there is information on how to get a shuttle to the Fontana Dam Lodge.  There is a phone that is not working since the storm, there isn't cell service and the last random shuttle stopped at 1800 hrs, I arrived at 1900 hrs. Darn and I had my face fixed for a shower and bed.  It's 2 miles to the complex so I start walking.  At first the road is downhill and I'm pleased, then it starts uphill and I'm not pleased. Two cars are the only traffic I see and they are going the opposite way. I figure a mile left, then by the grace of God a van rounds the corner and stops. Two workmen are done for the day and heading to the Lodge. No room in the back but a cooler to sit on, but I'm so relieved it's like a first class ride. Once we got to the complex the uphill became even more severe so my gratitude became ever deeper. These great fellows dropped me at the front door and gave me a beer. 

Got dropped at the front door

 
Nice lodge feel
 
The combined ease of the afternoon trail allowed for s good miles day, 22.3 that's adding the 1 mikes on the road. 
Got a shower first thing then the laundry. I met Finn, wife of Hukleberry and 'Huck'at the laundry. Huck is 70 and doing his life long dream of thru hiking the AT. We shared lots of information and stories.  They both waited for my laundry to get done and gave me a ride back to the Lodge, a plus as the laundry facility is a bit of a walk.  Sleep was blissful after such a forced march as today. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi, happy to hear from you, please post your comments here.