Friday, March 31, 2017

Standing Bear Farm Hostel

  • Day:  20
  • Start:  221.9
  • End:  240.3
  • Miles:  18.4
  • Hours:  7
  • High temp:  74
  • Low temp:  52
  • People met:  20

A heavy storm is forcast for tomorrow, so my plan has changed to hiking into the Standing Bear Farm Hostel.  The hostel is located .1 mi off the trail providing refuge from the storm. Today I plan to walk out of the Smokies.  
Goliath and I are up and ready to hike by 0710. We leave everyone else leisurely waking.  Today the sky is overcast with a strong wind on the ridges. My views are gone today because of the clouds have diminished the sight distance.  Actually the views would be few anyway as this section leaves the high altitude of the park and drops to what has become the usual leafless forest.  Walking across  an exposed ridge the wind pushes me sideways causing me to lean into it and causing my trekking poles to fly about.  I think to myself this will rapidly become old.  The trail comes to my rescue as I drop into a sheltered section that contioues, no more ridge walking. 

 
This mornings trail

 

 
One of last views

 
Changing from conifers to the usual forest

As I drop in altitude the wind has stopped and the temperature has increased.  I pick up a wonderful scene in the air noticing that phlox flowers are blooming. 

 

 
Phlox, such a sweet scent

Now the trail's warm scent of cut walnut is blooming, so a comforting.  More little flowers are blooming and adding delightful spots of color along the trail. 

A beautiful stone retaining wall

 
 My last unobstructed view

I approach the end of my Smokies tour, I reminisce on the wonderful day I had, I'm so greatful for the break in the weather.  

 
Drop my permit.  The end of the Smokies.

In short order I ascend the last section before intersecting I-40. Suddenly I come upon trail magic, Smokey Johnny has left donuts, soda and beer to celebrate hikers completing the Smokies.  I delightfully drop my pack for a quick celebration.  

Thanks Johnny 

 
First water source this big

Few of these beauties grace the trail. 

Another fun forest offering.

 
Trees are blooming at this elevation.

 
 Civilization 

After crossing under I-40 the trail climbs for about .5 mi. then drops to a little creek and a gravel road. This is where I turn up the gravel road to the hostel.  

I find the hostel to be a whimsical place that is surprisingly full of features like a hiker kitchen, resupply, wireless, various bunk houses and beer.  I recognize many people I've meet upon the trail.  The atmosphere here is uplifting and fun as hikers relax and meet each other telling their tales. 

 
Bunk house

 
The standing bear

 
My bunk on the bottom 

Delightful evening with outer hikers.  Time to hit the rack. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi, happy to hear from you, please post your comments here.