Thursday, March 23, 2017

Wesser Bald

  • Day:  12
  • Start:  126.7
  • End:  142.6
  • Miles:  15.9
  • Hours:  11
  • High temp:  68
  • Low temp:  36
  • People met:  2 thru hikers

The light flashed even through my closed eyes, pink, yellow and white. Then came the thunder and it echoed off the mountains for the longest time.  Rain, heavy rain fell for most of the night.  I did sleep very well last night. I stayed warm and dry, but I'm going to have to dry my tent today. 
The forest this morning is soaked, water running down the trail and everything is dripping. A much cooler day today accompanied with a cool breeze. The tread is mostly level with little climbs until I get to Wesser Bald. There is a viewing tower with steep rickity steps. On top I can get a 360 view, the wind is causing me to act fast as it's cold. 
East Wesser Tower View

 
West Wesser Tower View


I also made a 360 picture that I placed on facebook. I haven't found a way to get the 360 on the blog yet. The trail is downhill for a very long time. Some of it steep so my steps must be carefully placed. I stop at noon at a shelter to dry my gear.  I dig into my food bag to supplement my days rations, I'm feeling hungry now. 

 

 
I always like to setup dry gear at night

As I approach the bottom I notice a crossroads with white water rafting retailers and such. Plus a restaurant what a great surprise. 

 

 
Chill cheese burger w bacon and onions
Sorry once again I dove in before getting the full effect picture.  
Plus I got to talk to home and charge my phone. 

 
The first AT big river crossing

Now I'm full and have to climb out of this low spot. This rest of the day is spent climbing this grade. At one point I am in a mixed forest and the pine scent fills the air.  Close to the top I spot a great place to make camp. I'm in amongst the roddies on a very soft carpet of leaves.  This should make a fine spot tonight. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi, happy to hear from you, please post your comments here.