Friday, May 1, 2015

Back in Lordsburg


  • Day; 4
  • Start:  70
  • End:  85
  • Miles:  15
  • Hours:  7
  • High temp:  88
  • Low temp:  46
  • People met:  3


Sunrise on day 4

The moon's silver light kept the little birds up as they sang sweetly in the early night. Sunrise is here, time to hike.  I soon find Scout and Frodo we hike a while with a reasonable separation, until I catch up with them at a fence. We chat a while then I move on. I like to hike faster in the cool morning hours which saves me water and discomfort.  Scout and Frodo are famous in the hiker community for several reasons, perhaps the biggest to most is they host hikers in their San Diego home just prior to the hikers Pacific Crest Trail adventure. They are a wonderful couple that hosted me when starting my PCT trek. 

Pyramid Peak

Remember Pyramid Peak from yesterday, well today the trail goes around the left side. 

Much closer now

I hike making my trail between the bushes cross country for a while until a jeep road becomes the trail.  While walking on a road is not as nice as the remote trail experience in this situation it is welcome because effort is not wasted by weaving around bushes. 

A sheep herders house

On the east side of Pyramid Peak I come upon an old sheep herders wagon home, the owner stopped to chat about a mile earlier. He spoke broken English, but the idea was, that I was free to enter his house and make a sandwich. I thank him for his generous offer, when I got to his home I admired it from the outside and moved on, I have plenty of food already.  Really he herds cows not sheep, but I have never seen ranchers use this type of home. 
The hills are splendid this morning as the morning light brings out their colors. 





Almost to the next cashe

On a trail again with about a mile to go until the next water cashe. I really carried more than enough water this whole section, I have to be careful of over drinking and flushing my electrolytes.  Water management and proper hydration are important aspects of hiking.  7 miles from here to town. I notice a vehicle parked on the road where the trail intersects. A fellow came around the vehicle to greet me saying heis name is "Apple", a trail angel, and he has cold drinks and hot dogs if I would like some. Not only tha,t he has chairs and Spoonman is already there enjoying his lunchtime. Of course I'm delighted to rest and have a cold drink with my hotdog. Apple is from Cincinnati, he host hikers on the AT, and now out here on the CDT. He appears satisfied and stress free, and seems to enjoys helping others. 

Spoonman at the Apple Cart


Left is Frodo, Scout and Apple

When I'm hot and tired ready to rest, coming upon something like this lifts my spirits. I think the feeling is universal as my three fellow hikers all seemed to react the same way. 

Into town, back to where I started. Time to get chores done, retrieve my food box from the post office, get that much desired shower as well as some gear tweeks. 

Dinner time comes around and 12 hikers squeeze into the local pizza joint, we about fill it up. Lots of discussion about the next section and water, no cashes up there.  We are told the desert is what we just finished and it's by far the worst desert section. There are a few more but nothing like the one we conquered. Pretty much making us happy. Bed now early day tomorrow. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi, happy to hear from you, please post your comments here.