Saturday, May 16, 2015

The Mystery Trail

  • Day:  14
  • Start:  98 Gila. 334 CDT
  • End:  105.7 Glia. 348. CDT
  • Miles:  7 Glia + 14 CDT 
  • Hours:  12
  • High temp:  70
  • Low temp:  36
  • People met:  5


Distant lowlands

Last night the storm never vent it's rage in my neck of the woods. So cold the water is every time I dip into the creek to fill my water containers. Shortly after breaking camp I find a creek with good water. My hands are stiff and pained with the cold, needless to say I trying to make quick work of this.  Today's section requires more water and water management as the good water sources are fairly well spaced by about 10 miles or so.  I talk briefly with Dave and JW and Porsha, they too appear and stop for water. Too cold to stand around so I say goodby and hike to get warm. 
 The road walk continues in a nice pine forest with the soft breezes in the tree tops and the song birds serenade.  About noon the Gila alternate trail ends and I pickup the CDT, so nice to be on a trail again. 

My lunch spot

 
Views from the top

 I get some ridge top views as a reward for climbing. To the distant east there is a desert and to the west I see a lowland that my be where Pie Town is located. I take a break on this ridge enjoying the view. I check still no signal. I got through a couple of burn areas where the trail has become lost. I have to pick my way through the downed trees and track on a vector to where the trail should be. Each time I find the trail after the mystery hike. 
My final water up spot is at what is called a tank, it's really just a man made pond. This tank has algae but the water is clear, so I water up about 5 liters, got about 16 miles before the next water source. Ridgerunner, K2,JW, Porsha, And Dave are here as well. 

Blazes and Signs did not show like this 

My last section has multiple places wher the trail just stops, sometimes I use the blazes on the trees or the CDT tags or there where a few carins. The rest of the time I dead reckoned and eventually got to a section of trail. All this took more time, making my mileage for the day much less than I expected. The exciting part is that last section is right on the Continental Divide Trail as marked on the map verified by my GPS signal. If all goes well two days to Pie Town and resupply. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi, happy to hear from you, please post your comments here.