Saturday, May 2, 2015

Gila National Forest


  • Day; 5
  • Start:  85
  • End:  109
  • Miles:  24
  • Hours:  11
  • High temp:  84
  • Low temp:  46
  • People met:  2


Road walk out of Lordsburg 

Leaving Lordsburg with 5 liters of water, I notice that my pack feels fine, rides well, I'm getting used to the extra weight. A couple of cotton tails scurry under protective bushes as I approach.  Eccept for cows, small gray lizards, and a buzzard, that's about all the wildlife viewed today. There is a change in the air, clouds are rolling in from the west.  Thankfully the clouds provide a cooler morning hike. I dropped my pace to about 2.5 mph, really kind of a stroll for me. The slower pace places less stress on my feet allowing them to go longer without damage or fatigue.
One more desert stretch to navigate.  This section is flat with dried mud and scarcely placed bushes sprinkled with some grass,

Gotta cross this 

In a while a change occurs, as grasses are plentiful and the ground is softer allowing for a trail. I'm following 3 hikers this morning, Asher, Guy on a Buffalo, and Scout. They are about .2 mile ahead of me, sometimes I lose sight of them. I'm looking forward to today's hike as the trail gains altitude in the Gila National Forest. Trees, shade and an honest to goodness real built trail, very nice. 

The trail start to climb. 

I catchup with the three and we rest a while in a wash without shade. Now we are hiking separated but together, as a loosely knit group. Shortly we come upon Grim doctoring his feet. We met him at dinner last night.  Now Grim is part of the loose group. 

Starting our ascent into the Gila were water is provided by springs at cow watering facilities.  We will need to get water, so we try to decide the best ones, having the least amount of cow influence, if that is possible. 
We make our 99.9 mile point at the first well. Not bad, fresh well water seems to be flowing into a clear steel tub. We break for lunch in a scrub oak grove offering blessed shade. 
Guy on a Buffalo 

Pretty good rest area today. "Guy" resupplies at the grocery store instead of boxes. Today he is having salad with dressing. He offered me some, I gratefully accepted as fresh salad is always good. Soon Grim informs the group of a snake in a tree.  It's about 2.5 ' long, non venomous, and moves from tee to tree without getting down. No ID was offered, but I've never seen a snake do this. Frankly it give me the creeps. 

These beauties appeared in just one area. Not many other flowers of any note today, except a rather nice cacti specimen. 




Climbing continues and more scrub oaks fill the landscape. The jeep road well exposed, making for a hot hike. I developed a knack for catching breezes in my umbrella and redirecting the cool air directly down on me. I refer to this breeze redirection as "breeze showers", refreshing and delightful. 
The next water source is a solar well with a spigot on the well head, directly from the cool ground. 

Here's a candid shot of the group 

This site is flatter and better suited for the cooling off of feet and resting. 
Now for the last push of the day, trying to get somewhere above 20 miles in. Scout and I chat during this section. Scout is on the borad of directors for the Pacific Crest Trail Association. His dedication to the trail is honorable.  He relates many historical stories about the PCT that I find fascinating. The time rolls away and the light is fading. 


We spot a good camping site with Grim already setup.  The sky looks like rain tonight, I pick a spot with drainage to setup my camp. Exhausted can barely do the blog. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi, happy to hear from you, please post your comments here.