Sunday, May 3, 2015

Jack's Peak


  • Day:  6
  • Start:  109
  • End:  136
  • Miles:  26
  • Hours:  11
  • High temp:  85
  • Low temp:  47
  • People met:  1


Sunrise day 6

The soft comforting sound of rain came a couple of times last night. Not a lot of rain just enough to create that soothing effect. Off to a early start. Two have left already and two are still packing.   Jack's Peak, 8007', is the big item today followed closely by water.  

First rest stop on way to Jack's 

I keep feeling this thorny thing in my shoe, not enough problem it seems to remedy immediately, I'll just wait until I rest.  I shook my shoe and nothing came out, I stick my hand in the shoe an discover that the thorny thing, a puncture vine thorn, is not vertically stuck into my midsole. I cannot remove it with my fingers, instead I use my mini multi tool with pliers. After some difficulty I am able to extract the thorn. I am amazed that it didn't hurt me, especially when I took my foot out. Crisis averted. 

Views of the Gila forest



One of the best things about this trail is the forest shade and cool morning breezes.  Those splendid breezes seem to die out from 1200 to 1500 hrs every day.  That period of the day is good for resting and hiking slowly with an umbrella. 
Oddly above 7000' I spotted a roadrunner. I think maybe a female as she stood on the trail and kind of wanted me to follow her, probably away from her nest.  Roadrunners are a fun bird, they duck a little as they take of at their fast scurry and they are a size that is very easy to see. 
Really just a couple of locations left to get water, that means higher volume carry.   The way up Jack's is moderately steep, but I had to stop frequently to get my breath. Such is the initiation climbing at higher elevations.  2 miles down the trail is the last water available. We all fill up to capacity from a spring that fills a 3' diameter tub sunk into the ground. The water is slightly cloudy with some small insects, after filtering it tastes great. 

Wanted to share the beautiful afternoon sky

Shortly after getting water the trail turns to a manicured dirt road.  The problem here is the occasional vehicle zipping by and kicking up dust.  Happily the sprinkles came putting a little dust dampening down and making the air smell so sweet. 

More great sky 


Nicest dirt road I ever seen 

I continue this road walk for the rest of the day. At 1900 hrs I decide to make camp within sight of the road. Tomorrow 9 miles to Silver City. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi, happy to hear from you, please post your comments here.