Thursday, May 21, 2015

Zuni Canyon

  • Day:  23
  • Start:  66
  • End:  84
  • Miles:  18
  • Hours:  7
  • High temp:  72
  • Low temp:  33
  • People met:  too many to count


The sun rises on the way to Zuni Canyon

The cold intensifies as I walk the dirt road towards Zuni Canyon. Just before sunrise the temperature drops significantly. I'm already in my down jacket and wearing gloves, my ears and face are cold so I'm considering putting in my warm balaclava . Instead I hike hard to generate heat. The sun is coming soon. 

Getting close to Zuni

A light tan and silver wolf spots me first as he's searching for food in the open field adjacent the trail. When he bolts towards the hill I notice him. No mistaking him for a coyote or other animal. 
Today is all roadwalk, this is the best section, quiet and peaceful. Next is the beautiful Zuni Canyon. This route is a State highway, but not paved entirely. Whenever a vehicle drives past a huge cloud of white dust raises up.  To minimize to dusting of my gear I install my packs rain cover. I hike hard on this section to get through as soon as possible. 

Zuni cliffs 

The canyon itself is stunning with vertical cliffs on both sides. The canyon  winds just as the Gila did, I find myself wondering if I'll ever exit this canyon. The cliffs start to slowly decrease in height, indicating that the end is coming. 

Almost out and this watcher appears 

Finally I exit into a paved road and the ranching section of southern Grants. 

The cliffs have finally run out

Now the last section of roadwalk goes right through Grants. This town is stretched out making my walk down the sidewalks about 1.5 hours. On the way to my motel I stop at La Ventana a steak house that Carol Mumm recommend. Once there I ask if they still serve breakfast, I'm told by the owner only lunch and dinner. Disappointed I fix to leave, the owner says  "what do you want?"  I respond "bacon and eggs". To which he kindly says "come and sit down I'll have the kitchen make you breakfast". Very happy, full and impressed with the kind people of Grants 
Carol and Hugo Mumm stock water prior to the Malpais, in town they assist hikers in getting around and deliver resupply boxes. Carol brought my box to the motel. I thanked her for the cashe of water she maintains. We discussed the condition of an injured hiker Hugo is taking to Albuquerque. I met the hiker briefly in Pie Town. 
My motel is closely located to WalMart. This is probably my last town for a while that has this amenity. I plan on taking full advantage to touch up my condition and supplies. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi, happy to hear from you, please post your comments here.