Tuesday, May 26, 2015

Thunder Storm

  • Day:  27
  • Start:  609
  • End:  633
  • Miles:  24
  • Hours:  11
  • High temp:  72
  • Low temp:  41
  • People met:  2


View from the Mesa 

The morning sun found my tent providing a nice warmth. Just a little rain last night, but other places got more. 
I am elated by this mornings view and the clear sky.  I make my way along the trail as it skirts the edge of the Mesa. Every turn there are fascinating formations. 









The trail skirts the edge, it's just splendid 

The morning walk is filled with wonder. Soon I locate my next water source, a well with water from a spigot, just the best. 

The container had clear water as well 

Now my direction changes and I move away from the majestic valley.  

This valley is lush 


These have a wonderful scent

The clouds build as they always seem to do in the afternoon. Today the sky is darkening to the east. As I hike and time goes by the sky is dark in the south, then I see rain in the distance. I'm still in nice weather, but in another hour the west now has a cell. So I'm surrounded by thunderstorms which is very dramatic and beautiful. I'm heading directly west into the cell above the Mesa.  So at the first drops I gear up and not too soon, hail and rain pound down on me as the cell rapidly moves overhead. Just residual drops now as I leave my shelter of trees. The trail has become a muddy mess, with water running right down the middle. I trek through an open valley with low brush and grasses. I'm forced to walk on the grasses as the trail is so slippery I have difficulty walking on it. Finally at the Mesa and yes the trail will take me to the top. But to get there I must walk another muddy, slippery trail around to the north. Now the switchbacks start and I carefully climb. In places the trail is steep, I just keep my focus on the next step as I slowly ascend. At the top the wind is strong, but the sky has cleared. 

Almost to the top


That's the Mesa I just climbed


The trail follows that rim

The trail up here for the most part is level and sandy, just a few annoying muddy places. I enjoy the views from here while hiking to the far end of the Mesa shown above.  I make camp in a sandy, well draining high ground near the end of the Mesa. 


A splendid day!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi, happy to hear from you, please post your comments here.