Friday, May 15, 2015

The Gila River

  • Day:  9
  • Start:  21
  • End:  46
  • Miles:  25
  • Hours:  12
  • High temp:  39
  • Low temp:  72
  • People met:  0


View from the saddle

The stillness of the forest instills a peacefulness washing all my worries away.  In short order I'm at the saddle then a downhill hike to Sapillo Creek. 

Sapillo Creek

A real creek, I'm delighted, I celebrate by soaking my feet in the cool water.  Heading further on the trail requires several creek crossing. I carefully cross without getting wet. 

My first view of the Gila

Suddenly the Gila River appears and I admire the beauty of the moment. Looking for the trail I notice the first of about 100 crossings begins now. I laugh at myself for being so careful in crossing the creek. My feet will now be wet all day for every day I'm in the Gila. 


The River is in a canyon with massive vertical  rock walls. The Gila, winding like a snake against one side making it impassable, the other side has silt built up and is forested, this is where I find the trail.  So it goes back and forth the River flows against the opposite side,  forcing me to cross and relocate the trail. Sometimes the trail is not evident, I quickly learn to walk through the brush to where the flatter land meets the base of the cliff, this is where I'll intercept the trail.  Two winters ago the an enormous flood came through washing debris with it and blocking parts of the trail. Sometimes the detours are obvious, other times I just have to find a way.  The water is really about knee deep on me, a few times mid thigh only because of a deep spot. The current is not strong, but requires attention. The bottom is sometimes sandy and easy to walk upon, most often it is large river rocks with a slippery film, once in a great while it is flat, slippery rocks. Needless to say paying attention while crossing is necessary.
I reflect upon the isolation of of the river because of the deep canyon. The rock walls creating powerful formations inferring a feeling of a mystical world. 

Impassable left side at the rock

I make my camp in a nicely forested spit of land within an 8 mile hike to Doc Campbell's Post, my next resupply. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi, happy to hear from you, please post your comments here.