Tuesday, May 26, 2015

The Land of Enchantment

  • Day:  26
  • Start:  583
  • End:  609
  • Miles:  26
  • Hours:  12
  • High temp:  65
  • Low temp:  38
  • People met:  0

 
Came down this way for water

Water from the Indio Spring is supposed to be very good. It's located at the bottom of a canyon .5 miles from the trail. I work my way there down a nicely built trail. Fresh spring water is flowing from a pipe into a concrete tank. There is a lot of water flowing out.  Plus the area is fenced off to protect the source from stock contamination. 

 
Excellent water source from the pipe

Today the forecast is 60% chance of rain. Well the sky is completely overcast, but the clouds don't really look like rain. For most of the morning I'm on a trail snaking through the same pinion pine forest I slept in last night. The first drops of rain start at 1000 hrs. bringing with it the splendid scents of wet hay, wet earth, and sweet pine. 





First view from the this mesa

The big storm 2 days ago left everything muddy, I can see where others suffered the same muddy conditions I did. Everything is dry now but the imprints are still there. 

It's a bear, 5.5" measured side to side
 
Two days ago Mr Bruin came this way. 

Have to walk across that 

Just before noon I come to the edge of the Mesa.  Downhill 2000', from hiking at 8000' I go to 6000'. The air is a bit warmer down here, I able to take of my jacket. 
The valley is stunning with majestic shapes and grand walls. I am impressed all day with the spectacular views. I come to a river in the Arroyo Chico, only ankle deep but the only way across is to wade. 

Arroyo Chico



On through the desert I go following the cairns. Finally I reach the the other side of this valley and am greeted by beautiful rocks and walls. 








Looking back the across the valley I'm amazed I crossed it so quickly. 

El Cabezon




My camp spot

Today was simply outstanding as far as views in this magic valley. With grand views like this no wonder New Mexicans call the state the Land of Enchantment. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi, happy to hear from you, please post your comments here.