Tuesday, May 26, 2015

Mt Taylor

  • Day:  24
  • Start:  530
  • End:  550
  • Miles:  20
  • Hours:  10
  • High temp:  59
  • Low temp:  38
  • People met:  1


Hugo Mumm

Dropped at the trailhead by Hugo this brisk morning. Many thanks to the Mumm's for their devoted support of CDT hikers.  
Thunder and lightening last night lasting forever. A very nice storm with lots of rain, Hugo told me in 13 years of living in Grants he has never see weather like this. 
All that rain made the trail muddy And slippery this morning. The mud quickly filled my treads then proceeded to ooze to the side of my boots. More weight and the worst of it is now I have little traction. So I climb the trail to Mt Taylor slowly with these slippery, muddy trails.

Grants

My first view of the day is of the valley where Grants exists. The trail climbs slowly almost seeming level for quite a while. 

The trees help buffer the wind

Now I have to find Gooseberry Spring to refill my water supply. This quest takes me off the trail and up a canyon. I locate the spring, it is just a trickle of water draining out of a pipe. But enough for me to fill my containers. Now back to the trail, I bushwhack further up this canyon to intersect the trail. This climb is slow going because it is steep and the altitude is high. The sky is a cold gray with a complete cloud cover. The wind is bitter cold and blows in strong gusts. I almost seek shelter prior to the top of Mt Taylor, but I know I can make with time to get to a lower elevation for tonight's camp. 
Making the top I have incredible views from the east, south and to the west. I have a signal so I send a picture to Carolyn of the summit sign and me.






Cold on top but my gear makes it ok, so after a reasonable enjoyment time I descend on the north side of the mountain. Snow is covering the trail on this side, so I have to pick my way carefully down until I'm below the snow line. 


Once down below to snow line I find a suitable camp site.  Cold but good day hiking, got to hike real trails and see views. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi, happy to hear from you, please post your comments here.