Saturday, May 16, 2015

CDT Roadwalk

  • Day:  13
  • Start:  74
  • End:  98
  • Miles:  24
  • Hours:  12
  • High temp:  75
  • Low temp:  29
  • People met:  12


Snow Lake

Last night some people arrived in pickups with all terrain vehicles. There immediate action was to start a camp fire and blast out their music, while not bad in my estimation it was just too loud.  How am I going to sleep I ask myself, then I remember ear plugs.  Aaaahh, peaceful slumber.
The night was cold, very cold. I kept my head inside my bag all night. I was warm In my bag, thankfully I carry a good 0* bag. 
By morning my shoes had frozen, because of the many river crossings they never dried. I had to bend and pound them into submission in order to force my feet in.  Thankfully I'm wearing wool socks and have a dry pair, so the cold feet are not unbearable.  In about an hour they warmed right up.  I wear gloves and my down jacket to hike as the breeze is bitter at this 7400' level. 
Today is almost all a road walk with the exception of about 2 miles going cross country up T-Bar Canyon. 
I'm amazed at the open grassland, it is dry already with some sturdy low growing sage green plants. Very little trees out here, the land has a huge open feel. 
 
Road leaving Snow Lake


After T-Bat Canyon , treeless section


Road smooths out

After a while the dirt road merges with a nicely built gravel road. I will walk this all day. A pine forest appears and provides comfort from the chilly breeze.  I meet Dave while I'm drying gear and taking a break. We met in Silver City and again at Doc Campbell's. Nice fellow, lives in West Seattle.  The only other people met are three Forest Service Vehicles and a private car. The walk is fast paced on this well maintained road. I'm able to glance at my surroundings more on this level surface. The forest is very silent, with only an occasional songbird adding to the beauty of the walk.  I make a crest which is just over 8300'. I never realized that New Mexico had this much high altitude. I glimpse javelina  running across the road, other than the cows in the evening my only wild life worth mentioning. 

Threatening afternoon storm

The day progresses with the road turning west into a storm building over the distant mountains. Dark menacing clouds with distant rain falling and the road leads right to them. I plan to walk till 1700 but at 1630 just a hint of sleet falls. The winds have changed and the occasional thunder is heard. I pick a suitable site a pitch my tent.  A slight sprinkle is just starting. Dry and warm I tend to sorting of food making sure I have a balanced amount for each day left. I calculate the miles left at 72, so with good fortune I'll be eating pie in 3 to 4 days.  Tonight I camp at 7738' and thankfully it's not as cold as last night. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi, happy to hear from you, please post your comments here.