Monday, May 4, 2015

Silver City


  • Day:  7
  • Start:  136
  • End:  145
  • Miles:  9
  • Hours:  3
  • High temp:  76
  • Low temp:  47
  • People met:  bunch

Entry to the historic section of town


 Daylight streams into my tent walking me with a start, my alarm didn't go off. Still in a sleep fog I realize it's the full moon. Just 0430, so I rest a few then get in the road by 0513. Literally the road as this section is a road walk on the highway for 9 miles to town.  I wear my headlamp so traffic can see me, this seems to work well as many cars move to the other lane or dim their brights. A forced march was what this mornings walk was. I was driven with the idea of breakfast of bacon and eggs. 


Hikers at breakfast

After a good breakfast at Nancy's, I retrieve my resupply box from the post office. I'm able to send my last 2 posts up via the free wireless at the visitors center.  Heading over to the Palace Hotel to book a room I see the rest of the hikers coming into town. Everyone is excited because we accomplished the last section and now we have town time. I must say this group of hikers are great, all easy to get along with and easy to make conversation with, very positive group. 

Hiker friendly

Billy the Kid lived in this town with his brother and mother. There is a log cabin like his on the site. 

Billy the Kid's house was on this site

I spent the day doing chores, washing clothes, getting materials for a better pre-filter water scoop, bathing and a nap

A very nice town

Dinner at Little Toad Creek, a restaurant right across the street. Great conversation with good food. The younger guys eat like there's no tomorrow. I do not have a hiker hunger yet, I just can't keep up and don't really want to.  

Left Gilligan, Spoonman, Grim, Scout, Frodo, Guy on a Buffalo. 
During dinner the rain came down in buckets, then cleared leaving a beautiful clear sky with a rainbow.  We had to take advantage of the photo op. 

Rainbow'sare a good luck sign

Heading to the Gila River then to Pie Town, I believe we are all looking forward to that town experience. Should take about 7 days to get there. I may not have cell signal between now and then, so you may not hear from me for a while. Also I fixed the link so the Where's Grey Wolf map works now. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi, happy to hear from you, please post your comments here.