Thursday, May 21, 2015

Wide Open Plains

  • Day:  21
  • Start:  16
  • End:  43
  • Miles:  27
  • Hours:  12
  • High temp:  68
  • Low temp:  38
  • People met:  1


Thomas Ranch at dusk

Porsche JW and I leave the Thomas Ranch at 0730. 

An old building part of the original ranch 

I strike out with a purpose as the next water is a solar well about 8 miles away.
The sky is unmarked and sending a promise of a pleasant hike. The fence post and trees stretch their shadowy fingers across the road. A little cottontail greets me with a couple of hops as I walk by.  


Not long and I'm out of the low pinion pines into a grassy plain. 


 A wind blows at my back or right side all day. Into the evening the force is increased requiring a certain bit of leaning on my part. 

My water source 

I make the well, it has great well water poring from a pipe into a huge tank. The flowing water makes it very easy to fill my containers.  


Beautiful cumulus clouds fill the sky, looks like a New Mexico afternoon. I watch a hawk dive and strike pry a couple of times then land and feast. The day is a road walk with some on highway 117.  Still I have lots of quiet time as there just aren't that may cars out here.  The day is drawing to a close and I'm trying to locate a camping spot. I'm still on the highway and its bordered by barbed wire fence on both sides. 

The sky has turned threatening 

Finally I find a small state park with  privys, tables  and garbage, a real civilized spot. No one here so I have my pick. There are metal roofs over the picnic areas so I setup there as the southern sky looks ominous.   


The rain starts at 1900 hrs., thankful to be in my covered camping spot. What a comforting sound the rain hitting the metal roof.  Soon lightening flashes light up the sky above me and the roiling thunder echoes for a long time. Then the hard rain comes, not lasting long but enough to make a difference. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi, happy to hear from you, please post your comments here.