Monday, August 10, 2015

10th Mountain Division

  • Day:  79
  • Start:  1187
  • End:  1218
  • Miles:  31
  • Hours:  14
  • High temp:  70
  • Low temp:  41
  • People met:  ~25



The sight of lakes along the trail makes for a pleasant morning. I watch trout sip the surface for bits of food leaving gentle rings in the water. 

 
I did not get high enough to see Turquoise Lake, but I did see other interesting things today.  


I finally break out of the forest   


Then I'm back in


Another rocky road to pick through 


Squirrels are cutting these out of the trees and harvesting the pine cones. 

For several days now I've noticed the cut branches with pine cones laying on the trail. I've even seen them stuffed into holes in the ground. Those little squirrels are very industrious.  I've seen them with mushrooms as well. Looks like harvest time. 

I'm getting closer to Tennessee Pass and things are happening, more hikers, bikers and a CDT surprise, beverages in a cooler. 


Trail magic

Shortly after the trail magic I come upon a swinging bench. I just stare at it for a moment then decide I've got to rest here, can't past this up. 


Just hard to believe it's real. 

I continue on after some bikers have whizzed by. At Tennessee Pass there is a WW2 war memorial for the 10th Mountain Division




So many

After paying my respect, I follow the trail to a meadow. 



I parallel the highway for several miles then turn east into another valley where the 10th Mountain Division had their training facilities. Nothing left now except the remains of ammo bunkers. Another mile and I got my 20 for the day, but it's only 1530 hrs. I rest in the shade of some aspens, making the decision to tackle the mountain passes in front of me. I calculate the time and check the topo for the terrain. If I make the top I'll have to descend to find a sheltered place to camp. I know I can do it, but I'll have to walk more miles than usual. 


Nice waterfall right on the trail 


Above the forest now, looking back


Kokymo Pass looking southeast



Elk Ridge looking northwest


Searle Pass, I've got to get over there


Searle Pass looking northwest


Searle Pass looking southeast

Now I can descend, I figure I've got about an hour of daylight left to find a suitable camp site.



I follow the trail into the forest hoping for a level spot. I figure 5.5 miles to the bottom, if I can't find a good spot I can finish the descent with my headlamp. 



Then I see a spot just off the trail, big enough for my tent. Ahhh to get the boots off a relax. Long day but very nice. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi, happy to hear from you, please post your comments here.