Sunday, August 16, 2015

Thunderstorms

  • Day:  84
  • Start:  1323
  • End:  1342
  • Miles:  19
  • Hours:  11
  • High temp:  75
  • Low temp:  49
  • People met:  9


Still captivating 

My footfalls add to the occasional click of my trekking poles on the rocks. My breath is deep and my body is warming as I climb the 5 miles to James Peak. Today is a real Divide walk. Many times I've been on the Divide but it hadn't seemed a unique as today. I start by submitting James Peak then I actually walk the Divide as a dramatic vertical cliff on one side. 


The trail flattens a little just prior to the ascent to James Peak. What's interesting is there are no rugged peaks behind. 


James Peak is on the right

As I make my ascent I look far ahead and notice an animal running. This animal has long legs and is moving on a part the trail that presents his side too me. I stop to figure out what it is, looks like a dog, then it stops and turns its face to me, the sun catches the light color and unique shape of a wolf. He stops and waits to see if I'm going to move toward him. His movements are like that of a predator not a domestic animal. As I move he takes off cross country quickly putting distance between us.  So a Gray Wolf on James Peak. 


Almost to the top

I arrive at the top and feel a sense of accomplishment, as I round the rocks at the top I find a dad and his 8 year old daughter. Jeeeze, anybody can climb this peak. I find out later the trail on the opposite side is much easier as once the initial descent is finished it follows the contours of the mountains in a nice flat line to a parking lot.  The two are pleasant people and they seem to be entertaining a little pika. 


Mr pika 


The tall peak close to the pairie on the left, I believe is Pikes Peak. 


James Peak

Splendid views from up here, I can see to the pairie. On the way down a bold little marmot is eating something in the trail right in front of me. He does not seem concerned about me, more about the food. 


 Bold little fellow 

I discover as I continue my walk that these marmots are the creatures that have a musky smell like a skunk. Now I know when I'm up In the high country and I smell a skunk it's really a marmot. 


Looking west to the valley where the town of Frasier is located


No trail just posts for the walk along the Divide. 


Looking south back to James Peak, (middle of the picture). Notice the steep side to the Divide. 


Looking down the cliff. 

The clouds are forming thunderheads much sooner today. I've got two mountains to cross before I can get down into the forest. I've got my eye on the clouds and feel like I can make it if I increase my pace. 


Rain over Frasier

I can see the rain falling over Frasier and see the lighting. Thunder is also coming from the south, but those clouds are too far away to concern me. The clouds are not moving fast, but I am as the ones over Frasier are headed towards me. I'm still in the sun as I approach the final summit. Halfway down the other side to Devils Thumb Pass the rain starts as just a sprinkle. I'm headed for the forest now and cover from the rain. 


Top of last summit, heading down to a Devils Thumb Pass.  

Into the forest and I'm looking for a sheltered camp site. I walk several miles downhill and finally find a suitable one, protected by trees in a well drained area, plus close to water. As I write this the thunder is rolling through the mountains, fortunately no rain here. Tomorrow I'll be at a lower elevation so hopefully the lighting concern will not be so critical. 


This afternoons forest. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi, happy to hear from you, please post your comments here.