Thursday, August 6, 2015

Collegiate West

  • Day:  75
  • Start:  1103
  • End:  1124
  • Miles:  21
  • Hours:  10.5
  • High temp:  65
  • Low temp:  38
  • People met:  5


Morning above the timberline 

It comes from all directions ripping fearcly at me with cold bitterness.  The intensity of this bitter wind increases as I cross a ridge.  It will continue all day pushing me off the trail and slowing my forward progress. I wear my rain gear in the morning for protection from the damp of last nights rain and the cold wind.  My rain jacket hood is mostly on to protect my neck and ears, plus it keeps my hat on. Clouds have developed and freight across the sky driven by this intense wind. I can only suspect that some pacific storm is moving east, in August?


Clouds are forming rapidly

I have entered the the Collegiate West, a section of trail with wonderful views and mountains.  This section is second to the San Juans in my estimation.  The trail has been recently reworked as this section is new to the CDT. I find the tread easy to navigate and my hiking is without heavy exertion because of the well planned grades. 




I must climb over on the left



Water is frequent today, often from springs running clear and cold. I am able to find a strong running stream in a bowl low enough that I have wind protection. Here I gather water and dry my gear from the rain. What a splendid spot as I rest on green grass and listen to the babbling of the stream. Now it's time to continue my walk, back into the onslaught. 


These mountains are extensive and beautiful 

For the majority of the day the trail remains above the timberline affording grand views. 




Just crossed a pass to see this


I am reluctant to pull out my camera because of the wind


My last summit for the day

I descend to Cottonwood Pass hoping to find a suitable camping spot. After some searching amoung the sparce trees I find one that I can just barely fit into. Cottonwood Pass is a popular location with a parking lot and a paved road. I listen to vehicles drive by until 2100 hrs., then things quiet down. Thankfully the wind has ceased, I can only hope that it will not return with such vengeance tomorrow. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi, happy to hear from you, please post your comments here.