Sunday, August 30, 2015

Encampment Again

  • Day:  95
  • Start:  1537
  • End:  1552
  • Miles:  15
  • Hours:  7
  • High temp:  84
  • Low temp:  42
  • People met:  5


A beautiful little creek with an unusual rock outcrop as a background 

The 2 hr climb is out of the way, now just some small ups. Wyoming has many beautiful meadows providing a pleasan feel to my walk. 


This meadow appears soon after the summit


The forest is healthier here as well

About 6 miles south of Battle Pass, I glance up the trail and see another hiker coming towards me. A familiar look about this hiker, it's Scout!  I'm so pleased to see him on the trail, he is always someone that makes the trail special. We chat about what we've done and who's hiking with him, enjoying our mini reunion. We wish each other well and a pleasant hike as we part. 


Scout

I'm heading for Battle Pass to tie into my Wyoming Great Basin hike. Scout suggests I text his wife, Frodo, for assistance in getting to Encampment. I have just enough signal to send a text but I don't seem to be able to receive.  I have no idea if she got the text for help or not. 


My rest spot by this pleasant stream

Shorthy after taking a break I see 3 hikers coming towards me, it's Guyonabuffalo!  Again the joyous reunion is repeated as we chat about what we've done. So good to see Guy, he is another great hiker to travel with. In parting wishes for a good safe finish with no snow as they start Colorado. 
I reach my destination for the day, Battle Pass. 


Tied it together 

I remember when I started the Great Basin section from here, I wondered then what it was like on the other side of those trees, now I know. Well in my text to Frodo I estimated that I'd be here at 1400 hrs, I actually arrived 1 hour earlier that that. With no signal at all now I have know way of reaching her. I stand on the shoulder of the summit and ask for rides from the 5 cars that pass during that hour. Then as if by magic Frodo appears promptly at 1400 hrs, I am so thankful and relieved.  A 12 mile ride to the Lazy Acres campground in Riverside where I can pitch my tent, do laundry, shower and have access to a small store and restaurants. Frodo is camping here as well in her RV. She'll be heading to Steamboat Springs on Thursday, I plan to ride along. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi, happy to hear from you, please post your comments here.